We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

Hi all. My friend and I are planning a trip to Ireland for June 8-15. We will be in Italy the week before and staying in some hostels and we have heard to get the local experience in Ireland it is better to stay in B&B's. We plan on spending 3 nights in Galway, 3 in the Dingle Peninsula area and our last night in Dublin as we fly out on the 15th in the morning. Our budget is about 35-40 Euros per night, per person. Please share any ideas and advice you have on these places!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,510 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

You could continue your hostel experience in Ireland too.

Look at

www.anoige.ie (This is the national youth hostelling association but of course the hostels can be used by any age group and if you join An Oige you get discounts on your stays)

and

www.independenthostelsireland.com

If you don't want Hostels, post on the specific forums (Galway, Dingle, Dublin) for B&B recommendations.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

Have a read of this recent Irish Times article "Irish Hostels enjoying a Renaissance".

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g186591-i88-k44663…

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,624 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

When my daughter was doing study abroad, she stayed at hostels in Ireland that she found on the Hostel World website. She particularly liked the one she stayed at in Dublin.

However, with a budget of 35-40 euros per person per night, you can easily find many nice B&B's for your accommodations if you prefer to go that route. (We just got back from Ireland and none of our B&B's was over 35 euros per person per night.) I found all of our B&B's through the reviews here on Trip Advisor.

Since you are new to TA, you may not know how to access these B&B reviews. Here's how to do it: 1) In the Ireland forum, go to "Jump to a more specific forum" and select the town where you want to stay, e.g. Galway. 2) Then, to the left of the screen, you will find choices for "Tourism", "Hotels", "Restaurants", etc. Click on "Galway Hotels". 3) In the top middle of the screen will be a box that says "Property Type". Choose "B&Bs/Inns". Then you will get a list of ranked B&B's in that area. You can further cull your choices by "Price per night", etc.

Once you have read the reviews of these various B&B's, go to their individual website (which you can find thru a Google search of the name) and read more about their property. The website will often have an email address where you can write them to make inquiries about reservations. Or, you could call them and get a response right away. (Remember that Ireland is 6 hours ahead of Austin--don't call them in the middle of the night!) We found that most properties require a credit card to hold the reservation, but they want to be paid in cash.

Hope this info is helpful.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,449 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

if you would like a nice quiet village rather than the horrible traffic of galway, i highly recommend western way b&b in oughterard...it can be viewed at:

oughterardtourism.com/mysitecaddy/site3/west…

edwina is a wealth of help, her breakfast is huge, so you won't go away hungry and you are near many great sites, including galway which is only about 16 miles away.....if you stay more than one night you can get it for about E30.....

5. Re: B&B or Guesthouse Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2012, 06:20