We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sheehy Mountains

Moncton, Canada
13 posts
Save Topic
Sheehy Mountains

Since my last name is Sheehy, I naturally would like to visit the Sheehy Mountains. Can somebody give me hints how to drive to / through this location?

Also, if there are any other "Sheehy" locations or pubs I'd love to hear about them. Sheehy is not a common name hereabouts so I'm looking forward to seeing lots of namesakes!

Thank you!!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sheehy Mountains

Do you mean Shehy Mountains (less one e ?).

The Shehy Mountains surround the stunning area of Gougane Barra in County Cork. Absolutely beautiiful. However maybe you do mean Sheehy, of which I have never heard !!!!

www.gouganebarrahotel.com

Hi again, having done a little googling, it would appear that the Shehy mountains are also spelled as Sheehy !! Well you learn something new every day.

Edited: 19 May 2011, 21:49
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sheehy Mountains

So, how you drive there is so simple. You head from Cork city towards Macroom on the N22. Just about half mile before Macroom there is a very well signposted left turn to Gougane Barra, a gorgeous place. The journey from Cork city is about 45 miles and will take you under 90mins (with no stops). There is no public transport to Gougane Barra.

Gougane Barra meaning 'Finbarres Rocky place', is supposed to be where St. Finbarre had a monastery and indeed there are remains there of something like that.

The Shehy mountains are where Corks River Lee rises and it is here that jumping over the river lee is no challenge, whereas such an attempt in Cork city would land you in the drink !!!

As soon as you arrive at Gougane Barra, the Shehy mountains will be looming all around you.

If you are looking for accommodation in Gougane Barra you couldn't do better than the Gougane Barra hotel - which is actually the only accommodation in the immediate area !!! I've stayed there and it was FAB!

I hope you get there.

Moncton, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sheehy Mountains

Bryno;

Thank you for the great and detailed directions. I'm really psyched to make the pilgrimage!

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sheehy Mountains

i'm delighted. You will really like that place. Don't forget that you can also access Bantry in County Cork quite easily from Gougane Barra, and if you have time the area around Bantry is absolutely beautiful.

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
50,727 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sheehy Mountains

"However maybe you do mean Sheehy, of which I have never heard !!!!"

Neither had I, but apparently there is a "Sheehy Mountain" near the Ring of Kerry?

www.vacationkillarney.com/Mountains.htm

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sheehy Mountains

Thanks Irish fan, I'll have a look for that one.

WORTHINGTON
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Sheehy Mountains

My husband's last name is also Sheehy and we are planning a visit to Ireland at the end of this year, 12/28 thru 1/4 - our first time!! We live Iowa, close to where the "Field of Dreams" movie was filmed. We would love to know if there are any "Sheehy" pubs in Dublin. We'll be visiting Dublin, Kilarney, Waterford and a few other cities. Any information anyone can provide to us on Sheehy family would be great! His mother's maiden name was Doyle. And my grandmother's last name was Haley. There's a lot of Irish in our family and we are extremely excited to visit this beautiful country. Our email address is kateandkim@msn.com and I am also o facebook. Thanks for reading... Kate Sheehy

Grayslake, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,055 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sheehy Mountains

Hi, There are a lot of Sheehys on the Dingle peninsula. I have Sheehy relatives, who have roots & family there.

Belgium
Level Contributor
1,493 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Sheehy Mountains

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shehy_Mountains

it seems from that, that "Shehy" refers to animal hides... were you of British decent, perhaps your surname might have been "Tanners"

As for the area around the Shehies, I do recommend a visit and especially to Guogane Barra as Bryno has suggested.

When we were there earlier this year (I notice the best photos on TA were taken around now) the forest, which was at one time a collection of small farmsteads, was not over run by visitors, but the area around the chapel was just heaving with traffic. However, that might have been related to this occasion; irishtimes.com/newspaper/…1224302375672.html

Modesty prohibits me from pointing out which of the 6 reviews of the forest and it's surrounds provides the most actual information (-;

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g211874-…

cork
Level Contributor
145 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sheehy Mountains

If you're into hill walking and want to climb some of the Sheehys there is a good book called "West Cork Walks" by Kevin Corcoran which gives a detailed route starting from Gougane Barra which Bryno referred to earlier. You should find it in the gift shop there or any book shop/ tourist office. It's a circular route so you'll end up back at your car ! I recommend it. The pint you have back at the hotel when you return will be the creamiest, nicest pint ever, guaranteed !