We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

I sent an email to the site and was informed that the ROC site would be closed for 5 days, beginning May 16th and opening again on May 21st. I trust the Queen will enjoy her trip to Ireland. Like many tarvellers we spent months planning our first trip to Ireland, and also built in lots of time to be flexible. Being quite a history fan the ROC was very high on our list of things we couldn't miss. We allowed 2-3 nights minimum per location to deal with unexpected events. However, obviously not enough time to deal with a 5 day closure so one family can spend a few minutes on the site. I shudder to think about the poor toursist who planned a trip to Dublin during the Queens visit. One would assume the entire city will close. Anyway, this is a travel site so I'll hold off on expressing my opinion about this visit.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

Thanks for the information. I for one think this is disgraceful.

Cambridge, Canada
Level Contributor
204 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

We are leaving Thursday for Ireland and planned to be at the Rock of Cashel on the 16th. My heart dropped to my toes when I saw the title of your post. I am sick about missing this. Are you sure?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

5 days seems a bit much to close the Rock.....however I was there a few weeks ago and there was a strong Garda presence outside the rock all day long.

I'm afraid security for the queen's visit will be of the upmost importance.

I have never seen so many Gardai on my road. On Sat they were diving in the river and yesterday they were checking all the ditches and undergrowth out.

I would imagine there will be a lot of disruption around Kilmainham/Phoenix Park as well so folks would be advised to avoid on the day.

Sorry for anyone planning a trip to the Rock of Cashel at the same time :-(

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
302 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

Hi Juanita...yes I'm sure. The following is the email I received direct from the site.

"The Rock of Cashel will be closed from Monday 16th May to the 20th May and will re-open on Saturday 21st May."

Kind regards,

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

Makes me sad. While I've visited ROC before, I had planned on returning Tuesday, 17 May and showing it to a friend traveling with me on this trip.

But not the end of the world. At least Ireland has plenty more to see and do! We were hoping to squeeze in Cahir Castle at the end of the day. Looks like that won't be a problem now!

Keith

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

And just as further confirmation, prior to reading this thread (and after the OPs initial thread) I also sent an email to the OPW address for the Rock of Cashel and they gave the exact same info. The website is supposed to be updated later today to reflect this information.

Keith

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

Unfortunately the Irish public are paying for this disruption to our paying guests and I fear the Rock will not be the only victim of the upcoming visits. Other places Are not just Dublin in general but these publicly listed places

Garden of Remembrance

Trinity College

Guinness Storehouse

Irish National Stud

Cashel

Cork

www.president.ie/index.php…

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
25,665 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

I hope the local council invite H.R.H. to dinner in Chez Hans.

Still wonderful, after all these years.

"Bon Appetit"

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,245 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

I am told by tourism marketers that there will be longer term benefits to Ireland's tourism industry from the Royal and Presidential visits. The UK is traditionally our biggest tourist market, yet there are many English people who are reluctant to visit because they feel they might be unwelcome, given our shared history.

Anything which dispells that must surely be positive. That said, I can understand the annoyance of those tourists who may have their plans upset. I remember traveling a long distance to see Pompeii, to discover it was closed by a one day strike. I was less than pleased

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,691 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rock of Cashel Closed May 16-20th for the Queen

The British don't come over because the £ isn't worth €1.60 any more. Our Liz holidays in Scotland all the time but folk don't rush there on that basis. This visit will cost the Irish a small fortune for very little gain.

I can assure any British visitor that they will not be any animosity shown by 99.9% of the Irish. In the years that I can remember my Yorkshire accent has been less of a problem over here than it has in the UK.