We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day in ireland, where to?

Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
one day in ireland, where to?

hello all! me and my husband are arriving in dublin in may and can only spend a day there, then head to edinburgh. so my question is: should we stay in dublin or rent a car and drive to a more interesting location? and what would that location be. from what i've read so far, dublin is not exactly a very touristic city and we would like to get a glance of ireland before heading to scotland. Thank you, any suggestions are welcome!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,897 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

There is more than enough to see in Dublin; I can't imagine only having a day and spending any portion of it getting a car and driving somewhere else.

I'm not sure what you have been reading regarding Dublin not being a "touristic city". The city has enough tourist sites to fill up a week or more, you will barely scratch the surface of things in a day.

Level Contributor
11 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

After further research, i found the images of Cliffs of Moher, which is exactly what we would like to see. Not saying that we wouldn't like Dublin, which i am sure we would, but as we are planning for this trip to be a romantic escape, a view like this would be perfect. and a 2-3 hour drive doesn't sound too bad. so now my question is where to stay in that area? thanks a lot for the reply...

Reno, NV
Level Contributor
55 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

Dublin to the cliffs is a haul. And, frankly, though impressive view, that's it, maybe worth an hour. Dublin is full of sights, just walking around is fun. If you're there overnight, look into the Literary Pub Crawl (on the web). As far as countryside, Ireland and Scotland look an awful lot alike (sure to get an arguement from Irish and Scot.)

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,466 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

first i agree with irishfan, but having said that, you might check with the rental car companies because a friend of mine from houston tried to rent a car for a day and they, don't know who they are, had a 3 day minimum....

not to mention if it is your first stop after an international flight, the cliffs would be a dangerous drive as jet lag can, and probably will, zap you....also you will find the drive is closer to 4 hours, 8 hours round trip.....that is if you find ideal driving conditions, like no road works, no traffic, getting through small villages in good time, no sheep, no farm equipment, and my favroite, getting lost...lol...you also might drive all that way and if it is raining it's not worth the stop.....

as irishfan said, you won't have any trouble filling your one day in dublin.......

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,725 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

I echo what others have said - it would be mad to drive all the way to the Cliffs if you only have a day in Ireland, and Dublin is a lovely city, full of interesting things to see and do, full of charm, atmosphere and history..

The Cliffs are an "iconic" site, but there is nothing there except the Cliffs, and if the weather is overcast you wont even get the views. Save this area for a return visit and combine with County Clare or Galway.

However, if the countryside, rather than cities is your thing, how about Glendalough ? Easy to get to from Dublin - though you need to check out whether you can hire a car for such a short time- and Glendalough is a stunningly beautiful spot with mountains lakes and a lovely early Christian settlement to explore. Some posters here have said it is their favourite spot in Ireland. Do a search and read what others have said about it, and I am sure there are recommendations for an overnight stay too.

Another suggestion, though not as magically beautiful - one of the seaside towns close to Dublin - Malahide is often recommended on the Forum.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,503 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

Much depends on your arrival and departure times that can eat into your day. I would stick with Dublin and forget about renting a car.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

Dublin really is a fantastic city. Of the seven weeks I've spent in Ireland over the last two years...as a tourist...fully half of that was in Dublin...by choice!

However, I'll echo a couple things from above if you would really rather not spend any time in Dublin. If you want to drive somewhere (and are able to find a 1 day car rental), then consider driving south of Dublin to County Wicklow. Lots of stunning scenery with the highlights being around Glendalough IMHO. I greatly prefer County Wicklow to the Cliffs of Moher for variety and scenic beauty. (Not knocking the Cliffs...just talking variety and preference.)

You could then return towards the end of the day and perhaps stay in a location like Malahide, which is on the water.

If you're unable to rent/hire a car, then staying in Dublin is an option. You could then take the DART to various locations on the water such as Malahide or Howth north of the city and Dun Laoghaire or Dalkey south of the city.

Finally, if you really are going to head to the Cliffs and are able to find a 1 day rental/hire, then by all means break up the drive (especially, given jet lag). Stopping at Clonmacnoise is always a good option when heading east-west across the Midlands.

Keith

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

More thoughts/ideas to throw on your plate.

The Grand Hotel in Malahide gets good reviews. I haven't stayed there as yet but am booked in for a night in September.

http://www.thegrand.ie/

If you do decide to head south to County Wicklow, there are several other places you might like to visit...apart from the beautiful mountain scenic drives (be sure to see Lough Tay, Sally Gap, Glenmacnass Waterfall).

Already mentioned is Glendalough. I'll be making my fifth visit this coming May. heritageireland.ie/en/…

Powerscourt House and Gardens is a nice stop. http://www.powerscourt.ie/gardens/

I've enjoyed Mount Usher Gardens and Arboretum near Ashford even more than Powerscourt. Greatly looking forward to seeing the rhododendrons/azaleas in bloom in May. The adjacent Avoca Garden Cafe is a nice spot for lunch or tea. http://www.mountushergardens.ie/

Kilruddery House and Gardens is near Bray and is worth a visit. They have a nice outdoor tea area. http://www.killruddery.com/

All for now.

Keith

Edited: 11 April 2011, 02:46
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

hi,

I live in Dublin and from reading the above comments I agree with them all. I think it would be madness to try and drive from Dublin to Cliffs and back in one day. You are deffo gonna hit traffic or road works. I think it would be nearly impossible to collect your car, drive to the cliffs, see them ( good 30min walk from car park to the actual cliff) and then get in the car to drive back to dublin again.

Stick with staying in Dublin. Plenty to do,

Guinness store house tour,

Jameson whiskey mill tour,

Dublin bus tour of city,

Liffey boat cruise,

Take the dart on a full trip from Malahide to Bray (lovely views)

and as above, stop in Malahide and Howth and Dun Laoghaire

Enjoy your trip.

Gavin.

10. Re: one day in ireland, where to?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 October 2012, 10:20