We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sceptre tours

Plantsville...
Level Contributor
1 post
24 reviews
Save Topic
sceptre tours

Has anyone ever used Sceptre Tours. They are posting a great deal to Ireland but I don't know if I can trust them as a company. How do your check that out?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: sceptre tours

if you put "sceptre tours" into the search box at the top of the forum page, you'll find lots of comments about the tour company. I've not used a tour company for Ireland, so can't help with personal experience, but they seem pretty popular.

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sceptre tours

I just Ireland trip via Sceptre Tours. The price was so good, we were sure there would be a problem somewhere along the way. We had R/T air, 5 star hotel, rental car - we upgraded both the hotel and the rental car. The trip was perfect. Sceptre had all reservations in place as planned. We called a few times in advance to verify minor specifics and alway had a live person answer the phone and answer our questions. I definitely wll use Sceptre again and encourage you to do so too. THEY WERE FANTASTIC!

NJ
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: sceptre tours

We are going for Easter break. So far, so good. We booked the trip in September. Our original flights Monday-Monday were canceled by Aer Lingus. Sceptre alerted us and gave us a number of options. We had our reservations changed to Sunday-Sunday. It was immediately rebooked by Sceptre. I called car, hotel and airline yesterday to confirm all of our reservations and everything is in perfect order. I will report back when we get home. We got an awesome price on this trip. Air alone would have been more.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: sceptre tours

They do have great deals. We have used them on both our trips to Ireland. You do have to be your own advocate. I checked our flights every few days to make sure all was well. Emailed hotel to verify, etc. Our first trip we used B&B vouchers, which worked, but I would NOT do that again. The second trip was a stay at the RC Powerscourt and all worked very well.

A search in these forums will show some people that have had bad experiences with Sceptre. Some will tell you to book everything separately, on your own. Normally I would agree, but Sceptre is able to put some packages together that I have never been able to beat price wise.

Book with them, but keep an eye on flights, be your own advocate. Before we booked with them last time I did a search with the BBB as well and they looked good with them at that time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: sceptre tours

We just finished a sceptre tour of Ireland out of NY. It is a real bargain for what you get but I did a lot of confirming reservations and research on the b and b's ahead of time. We did the Ashford Castle/Croke Park package with Dan Dooley. If you rent with Dan Dooley I suggest you do a lot of reading up on their policies etc ahead of time. Please feel free to email me with specific questions and I'd be happy to help.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: sceptre tours

clkc86 - Why do you not recommend using the B&B vouchers? We had no problems at all redeeming ours for the 6 nights at various locations that we were able to freely choose.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
182 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: sceptre tours

Foufikins, we had no real problems using the B&B vouchers, but we really got the feeling from some of the owners that they were not fans. In fact, when we showed up at one of our reserved B&B the owner had an emergency and found us a room at another inn nearby. When we got to that inn, that owner was obviously unhappy about us using a voucher. And she did not give us a room with a private bath, we had to use one down the hall, which in the end was OK as there was no one else in the inn. We had paid for in suite facilities, but as we were all just thrown into the situation, we did not raise any fuss.

When we reserved our B&B's I always informed them that we were traveling with vouchers from the outset.

Glad you had a great time. Sceptre does offer good value. As you know you just have to educate yourself about what is included. In 2 trips with them we have had NO problems with Dan Dooley, but we had super cdw and were careful.

Edited: 20 April 2011, 16:17
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
29 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: sceptre tours

Thanks Clck86 - i was just curious in the event that we book with Sceptre again given the value was very good. We did end up with a broken down rental car from Dan Dooley (luckily we paid for the super CDW too and documented everything) so we ultimately had to stay at a B&B that we had not reserved ahead of time - the owner there was not keen on the vouchers and did not accept them so I can see you point. I did as you did and confirmed every single thing on the itinerary independently of Sceptre. Thanks for your tips!

Brunswick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
379 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: sceptre tours

Just back from a Sceptre tour package to Adare Manor Villas. It was a great value for our family of four. The villas are great. We could never have done this package on our own for the price. We had no problems with Scpetre tours. I did read a lot on TA about Dooley Car Rental and had no problem with them either.

We plan on using Sceptre tours again to go to Italy.

NJ
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: sceptre tours

Our family of four returned yesterday. We had an awesome vacation. Double check all reservations for piece of mind. I didnt have any problems at all. Aer Lingus, Dan Dooley and Adare Villas were all great. The price of the package was amazing. I prefer to book things on my own but I couldnt come close on the price. Sceptre just did the booking. I didnt use them for anything more than that. I know that some preople need lots of guidance during travel and I do not know if they would provide that like a local travel agent.

I would definately recommend Sceptre tours for independent type travelers.