We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nervous about winging it

Tampa
Level Contributor
26 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Nervous about winging it

Hi everyone,

My husband and I will be taking our dream trip to Ireland in less than 10 days. I have read in travel books that this is typically the low season and that I may get a room in a B&B without a reservation. This way we can take our trip day by day without committing to anything. In addition, I read that if we just show up to a B&B, we have a better chance of negotiating the price. However, I am getting a little nervous about winging it. I am afraid that we may waste some time trying to find a place to spend the night or get stuck in an expensive B&B. Any thoughts?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,648 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nervous about winging it

you will be just fine winging it.....now if you are going to be there for st patrick's day, which it appears you will, i would think about booking that night but unless you are going to be in a really busy area that day, even then you won't have a problem.....

have a wonderful time.....

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nervous about winging it

One of the regular posters on this forum (I'm sorry, I can't remember who it is or I would give them credit) usually suggests a good compromise between "winging it" and booking ahead. The compromise is that if you have an idea of an itinerary as to which towns you might be staying in, do enough research to come up with 2 or 3 B&B's or guesthouses in each area along with their phone numbers. That way you won't be driving totally cold into a town with no idea of where you might stay.

wichita,ks
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nervous about winging it

I would reserve a room for the night before you plan on leaving to come home.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,751 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Nervous about winging it

That regular poster might be me and the formula is to pick your stepping stones then 3 Guest houses (B&B with 5+ rooms) and 1 hotel before you set off email the hotel and ask if there is anything going (festivals, Sporting events etc) locally and if they have any bargain offers for the possible dates of your visit. You will be over for St Patrick's week and some places could be busy so a bit of email research without making commitment should see you well armed. Book your 1st and last nights though.

San Diego
Level Contributor
124 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nervous about winging it

Tony, sorry I couldn't remember that you were the poster to give you credit. I, myself, used to "wing it" on some of my overseas vacations in my younger years, but have turned into a "book ahead" vacationer as I have gotten older and more picky about my lodgings! But I remember that when I first read your suggestion, that it seemed an ideal compromise, especially for somewhere like Ireland in the off season. And I forgot the part about book the first and last night ahead, but I certainly agree with that.

6. Re: Nervous about winging it

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 13:18