If someone could have a look at this and add some suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
May 12: Departing Newfoundland late evening. 3h30m time difference from Ireland
May 13: Arrive Dublin mid afternoon and pick up car (Thrifty). Have local drivers cursing us on our way to Kilkenny for one night in a B&B. Between jet lag and frazzled nerves this should be an adventure for sure. Any ideas for easiest route? Looking for routes with least amount of traffic at least for the first day anyway. Also, I have a real bad feeling about those roundabouts. It will probably be a race between my wife laughing herself to death or me having an aneurysm. :)
May 14: Spend morning around Kilkenny and then drive to Corofin, County Clare to book into a farmhouse for the week. (Lakeside Cottages corofincottages.com)
May 14-21: Using corofin as a base we plan on doing the following as weather and time permit;
- Burren walk. Will do this on a good day for sure
- Boat trip from Doolin along Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands (Will be watching the wind and on a good day off we go)
- We want to go to local pubs and catch some traditional celtic music (This is pretty big in Newfoundland and we want to see where it all comes from)
- A couple days just exploring, driving around and seeing what we see.
May 21- 25: Cork
A good friend I grew up with here in Newfoundland is now working in Cork and wants us to come stay with him for a few days so we will be using Cork as a base for these days. He will be the tour guide more or less for those days. But we do have a few items;
- Dingle area
- Explore coastal areas, small towns, pubs, etc.
May 25-27: Dublin
We want to give ourselves a full day in Dublin to just walk around and see a few things. Intend to drop the car off once we arrive in Dublin and use feet and public transport.
Last few questions:
I'm 6'5" and a big guy as well, I intend to rent a Toyota Avensis or similar model of car. Any advice in that area. That class of car with auto transmission is going to be about 500 euros, Manual transmission is not an option to make this cheaper. Any advice with regards to the European models would be greatly appreciated.
I believe this is long enough, we are getting pretty excited now. Trip was supposed to be last year but thanks to the volcano it was postponed to this year.
Thanks for any advice.