We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Ireland

Bronx, New York
1 post
Save Topic
First trip to Ireland

This will be our first trip to Ireland. It will be myself, my wife and our two boys (18 and 12). We wil be going in April.

We will be flying into Dublin.

2 nights Dublin

1 night in Kilkenny

2 nights in Kenmore (rather than Kilarney - less crowded)

3 nights in County Clare, Doolin or Galway - we have not yet

decided on this last part yet. We would like to stay in a castle.

Fly home from Dublin. We will be driving from this are right to the

airport. We have a 5:00 flight so we should have enough time.

Any thoughts on our itinery?

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Ireland

traffic to and fro the airport can be v heavy, I'd do my best to stay close to the airport the last night.

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Ireland

My responses inline below prefixed by ####

2 nights Dublin

####Very nice. Boys will love dublin, as will you.

1 night in Kilkenny

#### Yes good. The castle is a must. I think there is still a 'quirky' HOHO bus from the right outside the castle. I loved the HOHO there. One of the celebratory highlights is the local co-op managers house. !!

2 nights in Kenmore (rather than Kilarney - less crowded)

#### I love Kenmare and so will you but I think the boys would prefer Killarney. In April it's not as crowded as you would think and great places to take the lads when you are there. Kenmare is a very nice town but the 18 year old in particular might prefer the larger Killarney.

3 nights in County Clare, Doolin or Galway - we have not yet

decided on this last part yet. We would like to stay in a castle.

#### I'll leave Clare to the other experts here. I stayed in Ballyvaughan last October and loved it, but Ballyvaughan is a very small village and the boys may not be impressed. Doolin would probably be better however be aware, Doolin is only a very small village surrounded by many B&B's. You can get a ferry from Doolin to the Islands. Others here may have good ideas for accommodation.

Fly home from Dublin. We will be driving from this are right to the

airport. We have a 5:00 flight so we should have enough time.

#### Do you mean 5pm flight? If you are dropping the car back to the airport on day of departure, you should drop it off at 2pm and then make your way to the airport departures.

Any thoughts on our itinery?

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
69 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Ireland

Kenmare is lovely but hotels can be very expensive.

Where are you looking to stay in a castle for how long and what is the budget for the castle?

Why not spend a night in Doolin and then go onto Galway. Where in Galway would you like stay(city, connemara or elsewhere)?

Loads of castles in and around Galway County try

Ballinahinch Castle

Abbeyglen Castle

Glenlo Abbey Hotel

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,384 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Ireland

Dromoland castle in County Clare is world famous but may be very expensive for four of you.

Michigan
Level Contributor
155 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Ireland

I think you should be okay to drive from the West to the airport if you leave in the morning. It's about a 3-1/2 hour drive straight across. Just leave early-ish to make sure and you should be fine.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,661 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Ireland

i agree with bryno on almost everything ...but what's new, you can't argue with all of the past good advice that is offered...

however, having raised 4 boys, i am not sure about them loving dublin....of course that depends on what their interest are, i could be wrong....have been many times before....

dublin has a lot to offer, just not sure it will be as interesting to the boys as to mom and dad....

7. Re: First trip to Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2012, 01:17