We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is normal weather in early May

Fairfax, Virginia
Level Contributor
851 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
What is normal weather in early May

Thinking about a trip to Ireland beginning May 8th. What is the temp at that time and is it considered a rainy period or not? Thanks.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,184 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is normal weather in early May

Never easy to predict the weather in Ireland. Check out the weather for the month of May in recent years at the Irish Meteorological Service web site (Met Eireann). As with stocks and shares, past results not necessarily a predictor of future ones:

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-summary.asp

Days are long and nature at its finest in May! Not yet high season for tourism.

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,217 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is normal weather in early May

When it comes to rainfall, Ireland is uttterly unpredictable

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is normal weather in early May

Noyhing is certain but it generally does come to rainfall in early may and often quite windy.

Edited: 24 January 2011, 00:44
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
80 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is normal weather in early May

Tim,

I hit Ireland once in May (our Memorial Day) and we had quite extremes -- our west-coast weather was torrential rains where driving was slow and we didn't want to get out of the car for anything. That lasted a day on our trip from Galway to Donegal. Donegal was dry ... cold and extremely windy but when we woke up the next day for a trip to Slieve League, the drizzle stopped, sun came out and we could hike up for a fantastic view (and photos) ... mind you, in the sopping wet soil (boots a must!) We ended our trip in Dublin where the sun was out, people were walking in Temple Bar with short sleeves and enjoying the warmth.

So, with any trip to Ireland, prepare for all types of weather regardless of when you go. Best to pack layers so you can put things on and take things off throughout the day to adjust.

Ontario Canada
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is normal weather in early May

My husband and toured Ireland in May and were lucky, we only had one day of rain in 2 weeks! Mostly overcast the whole time though...and coolish, needed a jacket of windbreaker type. But, being from Canada, didn't find the temps too cool.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
80 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What is normal weather in early May

LadyJane,

That is something I usually reference -- where are people from? It makes a huge difference in describing temperatures and fluctuations. I've had some folks from Florida go and I had to prep them that it wouldn't be their type of warm in the summer... and in the fall, folks here in the Northeast US have fairly the same climate so we're getting ready for fall so it's not a big deal.

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What is normal weather in early May

After a winter that saw lows of minus 15 degrees and frozen water pipes, I don't think that we would mind some occasional rain.

8. Re: What is normal weather in early May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2012, 05:30