We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

My fiancé and I will be traveling from Portland, Oregon to Ireland, in October, with 12-16 other friends and family members to have a very quiet, intimate but brief outdoor wedding ceremony. We will be traveling with someone ordained and legal to marry us (recognized by the US), so legalities are taken care of. What we need to nail down is where, exactly, we want this to occur.

Our ideal spot is a dramatic cliff setting, overlooking the ocean (or some beautiful body of water) with some kind of architectural structure nearby. Sheep would be nice to cap off authenticism but not necessary ;)

What we don’t want is tourists around so the main cliffs (IE: Cliffs of Moher) are out.

The regions of the country we have been interested in are the West and Southwest areas, primarily Kerry, Limerick and Clare.

If the location has a small village or an authentic B&B/Lodge/place to stay nearby, that’s also a big bonus, however, we do have Sawday's Special Places to Stay (Ireland) book, so we can probably find something worthwhile nearby. Nailing down where to be married is first.

Suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks everyone!

Edited: 20 January 2011, 19:59
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

Loop Head in Co Clare

http://www.loophead.ie/

Sheeps Head and Beara in Co Cork

http://www.thesheepshead.com/

http://www.bearatourism.com/

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,428 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

Not so easy get what you need, how about the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore if no-one turns up trumps here?

If you are willing to risk weather, then the beach at Clothar in West Kerry is a good choice, less busy than the beach at COUMEENOOLE ,which on a stormy day is better avoided-a huge wave literally could drag you into the water,plus the little lane down is very, very steep.

Clothar has its own little carpark. Be aware that there are some steps down to the strand here.

Top picture on link below is Clothar.

http://www.dingle-region.com/beaches.htm

Edited: 20 January 2011, 20:23
Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

First of all: Congratulations!

And tony has beaten me to it by suggesting Loop Head, which was the first place that came to mind when I read your post. It's absolutely beautiful, and although you might find a few people out walking, it's not at all touristy:

flickr.com/photos/…

There are a couple of pubs in the nearby village of Kilbaha, which may or may not be open in October (when I visited in April, only the Lighthouse was open: basic pub food). Slightly further along the coast lies Carrigaholt, which is a pretty little village:

http://www.carrigaholt.net/

Or, you could consider staying further north on the west coast near Lahinch, maybe:

http://www.moyhouse.com/

:-)

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

Are you certain of your facts about a wedding here being legal in the US?

'A marriage performed in another jurisdiction -- even overseas -- is usually valid in any state as long as the marriage was legal in the jurisdiction where it occurred'

this is a quote from this site usmarriagelaws.com/search/…index.shtml

It is not legal to get married in the open air in Ireland. Quite how Ireland copes with an official from another country performing a wedding ceremony I am not sure, but for Irish people it has to be a Registrar in an approved building, not a marquee or open air.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

i'm with doneraile here...you might check...

just out of curiosity, i called the courthouse here and asked if you bought your license could you marry in ireland if using a texas minister...i was told that you cannot marry anywhere but somewhere in texas, not another state, or another country....they said they would not, or could not register the license if it was held somewhere other than texas....

if that's the case, maybe you could have the quick ceremony at the airport while you wait to board, then do it again in ireland?......lol.....

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

From the US Department of State: Marriage of US citizens Abroad:

…state.gov/law/…marriage_589.html

Quote:

Validity of Marriages Abroad

In general, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. Inquiries regarding the validity of a marriage abroad should be directed to the attorney general of the state in the United States where the parties to the marriage live.

End Quote

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

Thanks for the speedy replies!

I like some of the options, especially the Loop Head (great looking stone church ruins!) and Beara Peninsula. Nice options!

One thing that would be nice to have is something nearby to walk to rather than packing back up into cars and driving off. A restaurant/village, perhaps? It may be asking for a lot since these spots are typically a bit desolate minus the crumbling ruin or two.

Please, keep the options coming.

As for legalities, I don't believe the Oregon marriage certificate specifically asks where you are married but if you have met the requirements (someone who can legally marry you, two witnesses and that the document is returned within 10 days of being married).

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

And, among other things, please note the Residence Requirements:

Quote:

Foreign Laws and Procedures

The embassy or tourist information bureau of the country in which the marriage is to be performed is the best source of information about marriage in that country. Some general information on marriage in a limited number of countries can be obtained from Overseas Citizens Services, Room 4811, Department of State, Washington, DC 20520. In addition, American embassies and consulates abroad frequently have information about marriage in the country in which they are located.

Residence Requirements

Marriages abroad are subject to the residency requirements of the country in which the marriage is to be performed. There is almost always a lengthy waiting period.

Documentation and Authentication

Most countries require that a valid U.S. passport be presented. In addition, birth certificates, divorce decrees, and death certificates are frequently required. Some countries require that the documents presented to the marriage registrar first be authenticated in the United States by a consular official of that country. This process can be time consuming and expensive.

End Quote

Source: US Department of State:

…state.gov/law/…marriage_589.html

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
7,521 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

And, finally, from the US Embassy in Dublin: Marriage in Ireland: Requirements for Marriage:

…usembassy.gov/service/other-citizen-service…

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,735 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Marrying in Ireland; Need advice on quiet/dramatic, SW cliff

good site uasal...

you got me curious so i went to the oregon website and their license are good "statewide"....

forktine you might check...

weddingvendors.com/marriage-license-laws/…