We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rugby

Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
rugby

My family is going to be in Ireland in July 2011. My brother would like to attend a rugby game. Will there be any games held during this time (preferrably in the Dublin area)? I know nothing about rugby.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,472 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rugby

You won't find any rugby matches in July but there are a lot of friendlies in August.

The season ends in May and the World Cup is on in September/October in New Zealand.

Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rugby

Thanks. I was afraid of that.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,472 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rugby

If your brother is a big, big rugby fan, then he could do a tour of Thomond Park in Limerick (I'm gathering this might be a big bit out of your way)

I've done the tour and its quite interesting. It costs E10 per adult.

Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: rugby

Thanks. I'll let him know.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,955 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rugby

Come on beanalainn of course there's rugby in Limerick come July. OK maybe not regular county standard but for the craic there's the Pig'n'Porter. Plus on the 21st there's night racing at Limerick.

http://www.limerick.ie/pignporter/

limerickraces.ie/racinghorse-racingracing-ac…

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rugby

The rugby season runs from September to end of May, with preseason in August. We have professional regional teams and a national team which will be preparing for the World Cup during your visit, but all their pre world cup practice matches are in August.

There is also Gaelic Football and Hurling which are our two national sports, these will be played during your visit and could be of interest instead of the rugby. Croke Park is the main stadium in Dublin for Gaelic games but you would need to check back closer to the time for dates, times etc. If you let us know your exact dates we might be able to better advise.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,472 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rugby

Tony,

The OP asked about rugby in DUBLIN.

I answered the question as best I could.

The Pig'n'Porter is a fun festival but not traditional rugby. Tag rugby does not allow any contact and is a much tamed down version of the sport.

And night racing isn't rugby at all.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
18,955 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: rugby

Sorry beanalainn you are a star, just my light hearted attempt to cover a range of bases. As I have read it the interest over a number of posts has been Dublin-Galway-Killarney (presumably via Limerick) including equestrian interests. (Tag rugby wasn't that tame when I was playing with my Fijian mates 30yrs ago,)

Texas
Level Contributor
277 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rugby

Wow, thanks for all of the info. We will be in Dublin July 22 and leaving July 26. We will then go to either Killarney or Galway and spend three nights and then to the other town (again Killarney or Galway) and spend three nights.

I will ask my brother about gaelic football and hurling.

10. Re: rugby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2011, 07:23