We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

self drive tour

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
self drive tour

We are planning an Ireland trip in May of 2011. We only have a little over a week and this is the tentative itinerary. Would welcome any suggestions or comments on places to stay, things to see, etc.

Dublin - 2 nights

Kilkenny - 1 night

Kenmare - 1 night

Dingle - 2 nights

Ennis or Bunratty - 1 night

We will fly into dublin and home from Shannon.

Is this realistic? Awaiting comments.

Teachandpreach

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: self drive tour

teach, remember this is just my opinion, might be to your liking, might not....with only 7 nights i would do this:

day 1 dublin

day 2-3 killarney the ring of kerry, muckross house, etc.....

day 4-5 dingle, slea head, the blasket islands, etc....

day 6 doolin via the cliffs of moher....maybe the burren....

day 7 bunratty....a great way to end your trip and so very close to the airport....

whatever you end up doing, take it nice and easy, soak up where you are each day and do take time to spend some time talking to the irish folk....they are the best asset ireland has....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,102 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: self drive tour

Yes looks ok to me. It would really depend on your interests but my only comment would be that you get a little further West than your stop in Kilkenny possibly getting to Cashel or Cahir. I would also use the stop at Kenmare to explore or at least drive Beara which is my favourite of the 3 peninsulas.

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: self drive tour

Looks good. You've obviously thought carefully about this and it hits the highlights.

From Dublin you can drive through the Wicklows visiting Glendalough on your way to Kilkenny.

Between Kilkenny and Kenmare think about stops to see Cahir Castle and Rock of Cashel.

Kenmare is smaller and less touristy than Killarney and is a nice place to stop.

With just one night here, I don't think Ring of Beara and then driving to Dingle is on. Beara is delightful - less busy than Ring of Kerry but would really need a full day to do it justice with another night in Kenmare.

From Kenmare you could do the Ring of Kerry or else Muckross, Ross Castle, Gap of Dunlow, Torc Waterfall etc on your way to Dingle.

2 nights in Dingle gives you plenty of time to explore the Slea Head area with all its antiquities.

Are you finishing off with a banquet at Bunratty Castle on your last night?

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: self drive tour

Is the banquet at Bunratty worthwhile or is it very touristy?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,121 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: self drive tour

The very nature of the event is touristy, it's not something local people would generally do on a night out.

But by all accounts most people enjoy it. I haven't done Bunratty but did the similar banquet at Knappogue a couple years back. Wouldn't sign up to do it twice but it was fun.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
11,975 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: self drive tour

teach i have taken several people to the ceili and have never had a complaint...it is such fun....the enterainment is such a treat, the food good, and it's like stepping back in time 500 years....

3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: self drive tour

Thanks everyone. I will look into the banquet.. If anyone else has any suggestions please let me know.

8. Re: self drive tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 May 2011, 05:18