We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

visa debit card

Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
visa debit card

Two banks in our area have informed us there is a temporary ban on usage of a visa debit card in the United Kingdom. One bank told us the ban included Ireland, the other bank said it did not - for now. Obviously there is some confusion on the banks' parts on what constitutes the United Kingdom, but I still would like to have some knowledge of the situation if Visa decides to add Ireland to the list of countries.

Does anyone else know about this ban? It is supposedly because of an increase in fraud activity in the area. And if there is a ban, what are our other options for accessing cash during our upcoming trip in September?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,129 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: visa debit card

I know nothing of any ban, but if there is a UK ban then it would include the 6 counties under British rule and any ban in the Republic would be installed by Irish banks who operate under totally different rules. It is possible that the person you asked mistakenly assumes that Ireland is part of the UK.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: visa debit card

We haven't heard anything about this 'ban'. We both have Visa Debit cards issued by an Irish bank which we use daily here in the Republic of Irelandand we also used them without any difficulty throughout our stay in Northern Ireland last week. We've never heard of a credit/debit card company banning the use of their cards in a European country because of increased levels of fraud. Perhaps if you find out any more details on this you could post them here?

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: visa debit card

I haven't heard of a ban either, and I'm in London and I used my visa debit card this morning to buy my train ticket to work!! I think that might be complete misinformation from your bank.

Chicago,Ill
Level Contributor
49 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: visa debit card

We are traveling to Dublin next week and our bank said we could not use our visa credit card issued from our bank. Nothing said about debit cards.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: visa debit card

I asked a friend who works with bank debit and credit card programs. He says any geographic limitations would be set by individual banks. There is no overall ban. He also suggested getting a PIN for your credit card or buying a pre-paid money card from a local bank, if you don't have a card that you know will work.

Houston
Level Contributor
241 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: visa debit card

We just came back from the Republic of Ireland and also time in Wales and England. We called our bank ahead of time to make sure that they put a note in the system for their security company that we would be in those countries. We had absolutely no problem withdrawing cash with our Visa debit card in Ireland, but ran into problems in the U.K. We ended up having to wait until business hours (in Texas) to call the bank and get them to clear the transactions. Upon our return to the U.S. we had them investigate what happened. Apparently the original notation was never made prior to our trip, which was kind of frustrating. In response to my question as to why the card was still accepted in Ireland, our bank representative said the security company puts restrictions on transactions that occur in countries where credit card/debit card fraud is more common, and while the U.K. was included in that, Ireland was not. However, with prior notification of the banking institution, the transactions will be cleared.

I'm not sure if this is related to the situation you are describing, but I think it's a possibility. I have a hard time believing that they can out-right ban use of a particular credit or debit card that participates in one of the major financial networks (Cirrus, PLUS, etc.) However, they may put security holds on that card without proper notification.

Edited: 13 August 2010, 16:56
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: visa debit card

Just a slight up-date. Our bank says we can not use the Visa debit card for point-of-purchase sales, (those purchases which do not use a pin number)but we can use it in an ATM machine using the pin number.

A previous post stated their bank is not allowing Visa cc purchases. My card is not a cc, so I didn't ask about cc purchases.

england
Level Contributor
5,438 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: visa debit card

How senior is the person at your bank that is giving you this info? Not meaning to be rude , and everyone needs to make a living,but some people on the end of the phone seem to be bussed in and have no idea what they are talking about!! We regularly take our own car to Ireland, out of courtesy I tell our insurers, once had a woman tell me there would be an extra charge as 'Ireland is not in Europe',

London
Level Contributor
759 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: visa debit card

<<Our bank says we can not use the Visa debit card for point-of-purchase sales, (those purchases which do not use a pin number)but we can use it in an ATM machine using the pin number.>>

In Ireland, point of purchase sales DO use a PIN number, visitors from the US often have cards which don't have a PIN but assuming that you're using the same visa debit card that you use in an atm and it has a 4 digit PIN, then you also use the PIN point of purchase sales, there's absolutely no difference to what you're doing at the atm. Again, I think the advice from your bank is really suspect. I've heard NOTHING here about problems with visa debit card and I'd say about 80% of the population where I live has one of these cards and uses it on a very regular basis.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
648 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: visa debit card

What are the names of the banks in Iowa you are referring? Someone else may have info on those particular banks. We have used our Visa debit card all over Ireland, France, etc.