We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Severe weather in Ireland

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
303 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Severe weather in Ireland

This past week we had tornado warnings in Maine. Three were confirmed to have touched down by the National Weather Service. This is extremely rare and scared the hell out of me and my family. Does Ireland ever experience severe weather such as severe thunderstorms or tornadoes. What about severe blizzards? Just curious.

Rich

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Severe weather in Ireland

On the whole the weather in Ireland is moderate, very few extremes of anything. We do get the occasional tornado though, there was one last week in Wexford, though it did not touch down. They have also had violent thunder storms the last few days.

From the Tornado and Storm Research Centre

'In order to accurately compare tornado frequencies between different countries, land area must be taken into account - after all, a large nation will report many tornadoes simply because of its large land area. When land areas are taken into account, the United Kingdom actually has the highest frequency of reported tornadoes per unit area in the world. This was first recognised by an American meteorologist, Dr. T. Fujita, in 1973.'

I am quoting this as being information from a geographically relevant area, Ireland is not included in the figures, but it is reasonable to assume that ours would be similar.

http://www.torro.org.uk/site/irish_info.php

In spite of this it is not something we get too concerned about. And its cheating a bit as it does not appear to take account of the fact that Tornados are fairly localised in the US.

So yes, we occasionally get extreme weather events, but it is not something that would be a feature of life here.

Edited: 24 July 2010, 09:04
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
2,459 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Severe weather in Ireland

Ireland has moderate weather for the most part. and our extreme events are less extreme than in the world generally.

Edited: 24 July 2010, 10:19
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,768 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Severe weather in Ireland

The first tornado ever recorded (but not necessarily occurring!!) was in Kilbeggan, Co. Westmeath in the 1100s or so.

There haven't been many others since :o)

In terms of thunder storms, our kids were delighted, upon waking up on their last full day in France, last week, that there was a "full blown continental thunder storm". We rarely get more than a crash and a bang here and our gang love the long, violent, noisy and colourful thunder storms that one gets on the European continent. There was lots of excitement and an awww when it finished.

And as for blizzards - you're more likely to have a close encounter with these than with dangerous snow http://theblizzards.ie/

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
5,738 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Severe weather in Ireland

I had very mixed interesting weather in January, but not unexpected after all I was holidaying in January, not exactly a normal month for it, we had snow (not surprised as we had it in the UK too), heavy rain which melted the snow and caused flooding (I've never seen washed away roads and deep flooding before), it was a tadge scary, but interesting in away. This time round though I am going in October, late season.

5. Re: Severe weather in Ireland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 January 2011, 06:18