We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

Let me just get out of the way the fact that I shot myself in the foot in not allowing enough time for the entire area but I'm trying to make the best of it. So here is our situation:

We come into Shannon the morning of July 6. The plan is to drive to Galway (where we are staying) and see the town. The next day we are planning to visit the Aran Islands (specifically, Innis Mor). We spend a second night in Galway and then head to Dingle the next day.

Obviously, given the 4-5 hours driving time, that doesn't leave a lot of time for the cliffs or parts of the Burren. We'll get an early start but does anyone have any suggestions on the most efficient way to tackle the sites? We're interested in Poulnaborne Portal Tomb and Cliffs (and are open to other suggestions).

The only flexibility I've got is, depending on the weather, we might try to tackle the Cliffs/Burren on our way to Galway and then spend the morning of the 8th in Galway before driving, more or less, straight to Dingle.

Thankfully, the rest of the trip isn't remotely as hectic or rushed....I just didn't get this part quite right.

-bob

Edited: 28 June 2010, 18:12
Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,216 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

How much time do you have in Dingle?

Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

Three nights so two full days and as much of the third day as we want.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
17,354 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

There is time to see the Cliffs and some of the Burren driving down from Galway to the Shannon ferry on the way to Dingle so don't worry. The Poulnabrone Dolmen is above Ballyvaughan on the N67 about 100 yards off the road. Slightly higher on the opposite side is the ring fort Cathair Mhor but you need to be interested to visit. Head back down to Ballyvaughan and take the coast road R479 past Fanore to Doolin and the Cliffs. Follow the coast down to the Shannon ferry I would even take time to see Loop Head. From the Ferry it is about 2 1/2 hours to Dingle, unfortunately my car breaks down around Kilrush so apart from a possible quick diversion to the Foynes Flying boat museum I leave you in the hands of those who love Dingle.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
13 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

We just returned from a week in Ireland. My advice would be to readjust your schedule to give you a full day driving the Dingle peninsula. Galway was nice, but basically just another city. The Dingle peninsula was our favorite site out of a two week trip to the UK and Ireland. Take your time and enjoy the stunning beauty and the wonderful people we met along the way. We did the loop tour described in Rick Steve's Ireland book and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The Aran Islands (Inis Mor) deserves the better part of a day. We took the 10:30 ferry out and the 4:00 ferry back, which was enough time for us. Use the remainder of that day to see Galway, which will leave you with the time the Dingle peninsula deserves.

Edited: 28 June 2010, 21:14
Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
3,872 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

Hi Bob,

I think a lot depends on how tired you are after your flight.

The journey through the Burren and taking the coast road up to Galway needs quite a lot of concentration.

As Tony says, you will have time to see the Cliffs and some of the Burren on your way to Dingle. Obviously you won't be able to spend too much time in any one place, but the drive itself is really stunning.

One thing in your favour is the long days of July, so you will be travelling all the way in daylight.

Michigan
Level Contributor
23 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

Thanks for all the advice. Depending on how the weather plays out, I think I'd like to do the Burren and Cliffs on the way to Dingle. It'll be a longer day than any other (and we'll be checking in later than the preferred 3-6 pm) but that seems to be the best. While I don't anticipate being too tired (my travel schedule has given me the ability to sleep on almost any airplane NOT featuring a screaming child), it'd be nicer to just drive to Galway, drop the car off, and walk around and enjoy the city.

Thanks again!

Edited: 29 June 2010, 21:51
7. Re: Galway to Dingle via Cliffs and Burren - advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 December 2010, 06:17