We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,589 posts
Save Topic
Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

Lonely Planet, our favourite guidebooks and stalwart companions wherever we go, has produced a new Discover Ireland guide which lists Ireland's pubs as our greatest attraction. No surprise there for afficionados of the 'home from home'!

Lonely Planet gives a list of the top 25 attractions in Ireland and we're glad to say that Dublin, traditional music and Glendalough feature high up on their list.

Lots of other fabulous and favourite places listed also, as well as some that are a little off the beaten track (Vinegar Hill, for example).

If you'd like peruse the whole list, as well as some itinerary suggestions for visiting Ireland, go to:

cde.cerosmedia.com/1F4bc2fbda0e1e7323.cde

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for County Galway
Level Contributor
1,987 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

Connemara at number 4 and two of Sligo's surfing beaches at number 17 :-)

Nice to see Slieve League getting the slight nod over the Cliffs of Moher that it deserves as well and that a visit to both Carrowmore AND Carrowkeel megalithic cemeteries in Co. Sligo gets mentioned in the itineraries - it's a well researched guide and has been bookmarked...

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,665 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

Good to see Vinegar hill and Ardmore get a look-in too.

West Chicago...
Level Contributor
2,468 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

I just ordered that book on Amazon!

And a friend of mine will be glad to hear it about the pubs. I'm starting to plan my 5th trip to Ireland for May of 2011. This time I'm bringing a co-worker and good friend whose wife has sprung him free for the 9 day trip.

When asked what he wanted to do in Ireland, the only thing he came up with was, "Pubs!"

Keith

Edited: 11 May 2010, 23:15
Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,484 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

Good to see Loughcrew get a mention in the Lonely Planet guide although I can't imagine why, it is nothing more than a hill with a few cairns.

The Unesco rated Fermanagh Geopark and Marble arch Caves has a proper interpretive centre, didn't even get a mention.

5. Re: Ireland's No.1 tourist attraction - the pub!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 07:15