We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which way the Wind Blows?

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Which way the Wind Blows?

to everyone following the Volcano Soap Opera and hoping to travel to Ireland in the next few days.. as of 5/7 the volcano is doing nothing to help just blowing more ash.. now it is up to the wind.. seems they think it will keep the ash away through the weekend but may change and send the ash cloud back over Ireland by early next week so buckle your seat belts..they seem to have gotten much better at detecting the ash cloud and opening and closing air space based on the real conditions rather than just shutting it all down.. do you think this is the reality that they understand the ash more after April's lessons or that the huge pressure from the economic impact of this problem is forcing them to open air space? As I understand it flying over or through the ash cloud is not the concern it is for take offs and landings is valid? If the air space is closed off course the airlines cancel the flights, no choice.. Irish authorities say they will issue an up date today at 8:30 PM their time ..is this when US Airlines decide if it is a go or no go

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,372 posts
390 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

It's all "very much up in the air" - as they say.

What intrigues me is that Ireland is known predominantly for it's westerly winds, and we are south (ish) of Iceland. So how is this cloud spending so much time over us when it should be blowing to the West. Hmmmmm!

I suppose what is happening is that the cloud is being blown southwards and then westwards over ireland.

it's a lottery really at the moment. The next time I fly is in July and at this stage it won't surprise me if the cloud is still around then.

All you can do is hope that your travel dates are not affected, it's in the lap of mother nature I suppose.

Kentucky
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

Just hoping for the best here and trying to keep things in perspective. There are worse things happening in this than just my vacation possibly being postponed or cancelled.

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

Right KYWoman I agree if it is a no go that is that .. it is the not knowing and the waiting that makes it all rather a pain...

Kentucky
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

I know it, Southtripper. I can't look forward to the trip, because I don't know if we are taking the trip. When are you scheduled to fly? and from where?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
145 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

Southtripper, I just looked up the answer to my question about when you leave. I see that you are traveling with a party of 8, as am I. I Imagine your group also would have trouble rescheduling a trip all together. I hope it works ou well for all of us.t

Asheville, North...
Level Contributor
450 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

We all need the luck of the Irish....:) here is hoping

Inwood, West...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

I am to fly from JFK to Shannon on Tuesday may 11, I am trying to be positive but I am worried

Florida
Level Contributor
1,015 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

We are supposed to fly to Shannon the second week in June. I guess we will just have to wait and see how the wind is blowing.

Ellen

eire
Level Contributor
82 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

should be all clear by this wednesday and that will be the end of it with a warm summer to follow

Tecumseh, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which way the Wind Blows?

Fingers cross were flying out May 21st for a 10 day trip