We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I Skip Kilkenny?

West Chester
Level Contributor
151 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Should I Skip Kilkenny?

As I read the many TA posts and evaluate my options, I'm wondering if I should still try to keep Kilkenny in my itinerary or if it's taking on too much. Hoping for trip in June 2011...maybe 8-9 days total trip time. I really want to see the western area of Connemara/Burren/Cliffs of M. and also include the Dingle/Killarney area as well. Wondering if Galway would be a good swap for my original desire to go to Kilkenny? That way, I'm focusing more on the West w/o having to detour all the way over to Kilkenny. On the other hand, Kilkenny/Cashel sounds interesting....help! Too many places I really want to see, and working with the knowledge that it may be many years till I can afford to come back for a second trip. Need your expert advice!

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
12,736 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I Skip Kilkenny?

with your wish list i would recommend flying in and out of shannon, no reason to spend half a day driving there if you can just come into shannon to begin with.....

since you won't have jet lag to contend with you could just head down to dingle/killarney for about 4 days, then back up to see connemara/burren/cliffs/galway.....and end your trip in bunratty....

hope that helps a little.....

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Loughrea, Southport, Clifden, Connemara
Level Contributor
18,673 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I Skip Kilkenny?

If you fly into Dublin you can drive through Kilkenny and stay your 1st night at Cashel from there to Killarney for the Rings of Kerry and Dingle. Cross the Shannon and drive past the Cliffs of Mohare to Galway and fly out of Shannon

If you only have 1 chance take it do it at your own pace 9 days is enough to do your wish list

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I Skip Kilkenny?

Far be it for me to dissuade anyone from coming to Kilkenny, but if, as you say, your purpose in visiting is to see the West, then I second the advice to fly in and out of Shannon and limit your itinerary to the western side. With all there is to see there, it would not be worth the detour to see Kilkenny and Cashel. It's all about choices every time and the advice we always give is not to try and fit too much in. Take the time to enjoy where you are and what you are doing.

Edited: 22 April 2010, 12:40
4. Re: Should I Skip Kilkenny?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2010, 07:17