We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Celtic Link ferry

Cookstown
2 posts
Save Topic
Celtic Link ferry

Am considering booking celtic link ferry to france this summer. Would value opinions on the service and also advice on suitability for young family.

Edited: 15 April 2010, 21:31
lisburn Northern...
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Celtic Link ferry

Probably a bit late with this information for you

Have just returned from 2 weeks in France

on which we traveled with Celic Link Ferries

You need to balance the savings against the other operators.

It would be fair to say that it is no frills . I is predominantly a freight ferry that runs all year round and for a truck diver it would be fine but My Wife and i traveled with a 4 yo and a 2yo and it was a struggle . We were on the boat fairly sharpish on the outward journey but there wasn a seat to be found,We made a haste retreat to the car to recover the folding furniture and qickly set up camp in a nook at the bottom of the stairs. The there is a small bar and a small resturant (which didnt open till about 2 hours after we set sail and then needed to que for 45mins) of sorts serving food that you could get something that you would eat yourself but nothing for kids.. There ar areas for reserved seating for those passangers who have not booked Cabins . Take those seats out of the equation there would be about 50 seats on the boat . The cabins were fine and clean and probably slightly biger than those on Britay Ferries. On the return Journey we were better prepared and had food and everything else prepared ( own seats and table cool bag with dinner and breakfast oh!! and a few beers for the driver ) Personally next year if it was a few hundred££ of a difference i may go back to brittanny or Irish ferries, much more of a difference than that well i dont know. I think on the tourist ferries the boat trip is part of the holiday, which i couldnt say about Celtic link. I think if the right person got a hold of it they could do something with it because it wouldnt take much to make it more enjoyable and user friendly

1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Celtic Link ferry

Thanks for the info was considering booking twith Celticlink but all cabins are full up and I don't fancy not having a seat.

Dublin, Ireland
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Celtic Link ferry

I am just back from a trip to France and I could not say enough good things about Celtic Link Ferries. Their ship was spotless, the staff were extremly friendly and I brought my dog with me and back and there was no charge.

I would say that it was very busy on the way back (Cherbourg back to Rosslare) and space was limited but the staff did there utmost to keep everything in order. I saw Shrek in their cinema with my two children and it worked out great. They also had singers on board. I read the other post just there now and I thought it was very harsh. Although not "perfect", in my opinion Celtic Link Ferries did a damn good job of getting me away on my holiday. I also saved over €400 compared to Irish Ferries and €700 compared to Brittany Ferries.

Regarding suitability for young families, it is perfect for them. If I had one recommendation it would be to be a little bit proactive when going with children. Bring a laptop, Nintendo or something.

4. Re: Celtic Link ferry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2011, 05:16