We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Ireland Itinerary

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Short Ireland Itinerary

My husband and I are planning a trip to Ireland with our 20 year old daughter who is studying in Canterbury. (March 31- Apr 6) We will first be in London for a few days, then will fly to Dublin and plan to rent a car when we leave Dublin. I have based the driving times on mappy.com estimates, and haven't figured out the details yet of what we will actually do. We only have a short time to visit, and this is our busy plan.

Days 1, 2: Fly from London to Dublin in the afternoon; explore Dublin, stay at the Brooks Hotel

Days 3, 4: Drive 4 hours to Killarney, explore Killarney, hike? Can one rent a boat? (Hope for good weather.)

Day 5: Drive 1.25 hr. to Dingle, explore Dingle

(Or would it be better to stay 1 night in Killarney and 2 in Dingle?)

Day 6: Drive from Dingle to a place not far from the Shannon Airport area (2.5 hrs.) (Any suggestions? I loved Bunratty Folk Park when I visited long ago.)

Day 7 Morning flight from Shannon Airport to London

I hope this isn't too much to do. I would appreciate any comments about the itinerary, and any must-not-miss things to do or great places to stay. We love B&Bs with character. I know Ireland has changed tremendously since I was there in 1981, but I know the people will be as wonderful as ever. Can't wait!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
51,905 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

Looks good to me! Reasonable driving distances and you're staying in places long enough to see a bit locally.

Just be aware you're traveling over Good Friday and Easter. Things come to a halt on Good Friday in particular.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,288 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

##Days 3, 4: Drive 4 hours to Killarney, explore Killarney, hike? Can one rent a boat? (Hope for good weather.)##

Overall this is a well thought out and excellent itinerary. You've done your homework, well done!!

Regarding renting a boat, as far as I remember it will be May before you can rent a boat. But there is lots to do in the area.

There are lots of hikes of varying distances in the area, and so much to do. Some suggestions for the area are as follows:

Muckross House and Gardens (the house tour is fascinating. The house is a bit like an Irish chateau). The restaurant in Muckross House is lovely but only open until about 5.00pm or so.

Torc Waterfall.

You could also do the Ring of Kerry on the second day and include both Skelligs chocolates www.shelligschocolates.com and Ballinskelligs Bay.

The Oakwood Arms is close enough to the airport and is an excellent hotel www.oakwoodarms.com You could easily visit Bunratty that afternoon and even take in the banquet that afternoon.

Would you consider taking the Shannon Ferry on the way back to Clare. It would give you an interesting perspective. Sometimes dolphins can be seen from the ferry. Its a fun trip and takes roughly 30 minutes www.shannonferries.com

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

Thank you, beanalainn, for the suggestions. We're thinking Killarney is the best town for access to the national park, where we wanted to do some hiking. Do you think it makes sense to stay there 2 nights, rather than 2 nights in Dingle? (Or staying in Kenmare?) Are you familiar with Earl's Court or Friar's Glen for accommodations? Skelligs Chocolates! We'll be checking that out.

The Shannon ferry sounds like a good idea, and it looks like it runs very regularly. We wouldn't have trouble getting on in early April, would we?

Thanks so much!

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

Yes, I think 2 nights in Killarney are best after your long day of driving from Dublin. This will allow you to take only shorts trips in the car to see the local sights in Killarney. This web site http://www.killarneydaytour.com/guides.htm includes a good list of the types of walks/hikes one can do around Killarney. You can also click on a link to the left to inquire about getting a boat out to Innisfallen Island. There was a time when one could hire their own row boat on the lake but I rarely see people do that now. Instead one hires a boatman (whose boat has an outboard motor) to take you where you wish to go. Even if as Bean says the boats are not normally running until after your planned trip you could contact this company and as long as the weather is not stormy they would be happy to quote you a fee for a tour of your choice on the lakes from Ross Castle. Perhaps stopping at Innisfallen before heading as far as Muckross House or Dinis Cottage.

Other boat companies in Killarney:

http://www.killarney.ie/fish.php?id=2

http://www.killarney.ie/fish.php?id=3

http://www.killarney.ie/fish.php?id=4

Then Dingle as you know is only a short drive from Killarney and an early start will give you plenty of time to explore the peninsula.

Indianapolis...
Level Contributor
28 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

Thanks! These links are very helpful. Now I'm hoping even more for good weather! I'm also hoping the Easter holiday won't be a problem for us.

6. Re: Short Ireland Itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2010, 05:17