We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

Ireland
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

I'm planning a trip the first two weeks of June. I'm looking for some advice on whether this route makes sense.....

Depart Kilkenny early am to Rock of Cashel

From Rock of Cashel go to Cahir to visit Castle

From Cahir Castle go via Vee Gap to Dungarvan. Stay at Dungarvan overnight. Next morning drive to Mahon Falls - do short walk. Drive from Mahon Falls to Kinsale via scenic route.

I'm trying to decide if I should skip Cahir Castle & Vee Gap and go directly to Mahon Falls from Rock of Cashel so that I do not back track on my way from Dungarvan to Kinsale OR backtrack the next morning to do the Falls. I HAVE to do the Falls because one of the people in my travel group has it as a MUST DO. The choice is either to fit it in on way to Dungarvan or do first thing next day.

Any Advice?? Thanks so much!

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

Hello. Great choices for visiting. I have been to them all, and each one is well worth the trip. This is how I would do it: leave Kilkenny and go to Cashel. After visiting Cashel, drive south to Clonmel, and head east on N24 to Carrick on Suir. At Carrick on Suir, which is a nice town with Ormond Castle right outside of town, head south towards Dungarvan, which is a fantastic harbor town. On the way, you can visit the falls. Do visit the fort in Dungarvan. It is right on the harbor. While in Dungarvan, check out The Moorings, a nice pub also right on the harbor. The next day, leave Dungarvan heading towards Cahir. This will take you through the Vee, which is spectacular. In Cahir, visit the Cahir Castle. After that visit, head to Kinsale, another great harbor town. For routes and estimated times, use www.viamichelin.com. Again, great choices. Hope this helps, and have a good time.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,497 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

If you are coming from Dungarvan to go over the Vee, you might like to detour slightly to visit the Cistercian abbey at Mount Mellary (near Cappoquin).Either way, go Dungarvan, Cappoquin , Lismore (well worth a stop, the cathedral is beautifuland even though you cannot go into the castle itself, you get a great view as you cross the bridge and the gardens are open to the public.From Lismore over the Vee is a lovely drive, just beware of sheep!!

As to the Falls, keep an eye out for the magic road where your car seems to roll back up the hill!

ireland
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

hi if your are going to take in the vee have a look at grubs grave look for the sign i would recomend a detour to lismore on the way after the vee a lovley place and good food

4. Re: Route Advice --- Kilkenny to Dungarvan via Vee Gap??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 08:16