We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Searchable 1911 census for family research.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Doneraile had mentioned that this was due to go online, and it appears to be...so:)

irishtimes.com/newspaper/…

It will be very useful for anyone planning a visit with the hope of doing a bit of family history / genealogy research:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

I hope that this helps!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

I've just seen my Great Grandfather's writing!!

Thank you, thank you :o)

This is incredible.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,248 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Unfortunately this was the last census before 1926 :-(

I actually showed an elderly family member a copy of his parents 1911 census form back in 1995 and he was just amazed.

It was great novelty having the census returns available early over the last few years or so!

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

I just found my own great grand father's return from farm near Bantry - it really is a useful resource, although I had done a bit of research already.

Glad you found him Bean - it is a special feeling to see it, and Suzy, glad your relative got to see the return!

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
26,424 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Its incredible. I was speaking to my Mum, and we found her uncle where he was in college...

The stats are sad though - my Great Grandparents had 13 children, only 8 of whom were alive at that time.

Suzy - bummer that we'll have to wait until 2026 for the next census records!!

5. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 01 September 2009, 10:25
Dublin
Level Contributor
3,297 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

I'm a bit of sucker for these records. I came across the originals in the National Archives about 10 years ago when they were still available for inspection over the counter. Discovered that my paternal grandmother was one of 3 survivors past childhood of the 9 children originaly born to her parents.

I was also amused by frequent jumps in age of the order of 15 or 20 years for particular individuals between the census of 1901 and that of 1911 - subsequently explained as a result of the introduction of the old age pension about 1908 and the absence of birth certs pre 1865, which meant that people were tempted to apply for the pension and claim to be older than they actually were. There was no easy means of contradicting them.

It is a real pity that the older returns (pre 1901) were destroyed. Apparently the story that they were destroyed during the Civil War when the Four Courts was attacked was only part of the story. A substantial amount of the records had already been destroyed before that to save on storage space!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Thanks for this - fascinating. I have been browsing all evening, and found out for the first time that my maternal granny was the only one of 7 children to survive, and also that aged 14 she was living in the same tenement building - well the same address actually- as my grandfather, who was then aged 16 - I remember them both well, and they were devoted to each other, so a lovely example of young love which lasted the course.

Also filled in some gaps in my dads side of the family in County Cork.

How I wish my parents were still around they would have loved to look at this.....

Thanks again for sharing this info.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
8,389 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Thanks all, MsRiley - glad that you got to find this engine, and the Griffiths valuation is another great resource, but nothing to compare to this census!

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Ferdia , forgive my ignorance, the Griffiths Valuation ???

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,970 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Searchable 1911 census for family research.

Thank you for this! I was able to find my great-grandfather as head of household on my second try. Put too many parameters on the first search.

I learned the names of my Grandma's seven siblings born by 1911 (had only known three, met two). Learned the children could "read and right" but my great-grandparents could "read" only.

Love that children in school's occupation was called "scholar" and the one year old baby was "not a scholar."

Learned what towns in Waterford County my great-grandparents were born (Butlerstown and Tramore), and what year, which is great, as I would love to trace farther back.

It is indeed sad that so many records were destroyed.