We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How has the weather been this summer?

Montreal
Level Contributor
43 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
How has the weather been this summer?

Hi! We're leaving for Ireland in ONE WEEK!!! So excited! Just wondering how summer has been there... I live in Quebec and our summer has been AWFUL! Cold & rainy!

Ireland.. please give us a little sunshine!

Tralee, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Tralee
Level Contributor
3,744 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Sun is shining today. Could be nice next week. Then again.....!

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

define what you mean "cold". We were swimming last year in the sea west of Dingle. A Canadian family on the beach in full fleecy gear wanted to know if they could take photos ,because they couldn't believe anybody could think of stripping to swim gear, much less swim open air in the temperature!

Cavan
Destination Expert
for County Cavan
Level Contributor
4,449 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Some people will say that it was a terrible summer, but the facts are that it has rained an awful lot less this summer. The water level of our local lake is 2.5 metres lower now than it was this time last year. So if that is anything to go by then we have had a pretty mild summer, not much sunshine mind you.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
9,200 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

I'd agree that this summer is better than last, also rain is very local, so when we were in Dingle it might be wet in town yet sunny at the beach 5 km away

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Weather forecast for the next few days suggests it will continue muggy: temperatures 17-20C and intermittent showers and wind.

Tomorrow, apparently, will be very windy and wet...

The weather service continue to deny the existence of the yellow ball in the sky :o(

But some have not seen and yet believed it has appeared in other parts of Europe.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,414 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

It would be difficult for the weather to have been worse than last year's! It has really not been great though - yesterday was good, bright and fresh. I was in the English midlands last week and the muggy heat was overwhelming, I got off the plane in

Waterford and the lovely clean sea air was a great relief.

There is just the beginnings of that indefinable sense of autumn/fall and some of the leaves are even beginning to turn. This could be a good thing though as early autumn with sunshine can be beautiful.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
25,326 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Doneraile, would you believe we are losing leaves here in Limerick.

There is a green area near my house with lots of trees. Several of them have a ring of dropped leaves around them. The sort of thing you would expect to see in mid September.

Even our native Irish Whitebeam is losing significant numbers of its leaves already. Usually it only starts to shed when the kids are gone back to school.

I hope the weather perks up for September and October. Otherwise it will be a long dismal winter.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
109 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Reading some of the posts here you might think Ireland had a ok summer. We didnt, overall it is the 3rd bad summer in a row. There might not have been the same floods as last summer, but it was still wet and mostly overcast. Not cold or stormy though. According to the weather service, it was the wettest July in over 50 years for many locations

http://www.met.ie/news/display.asp?ID=23

Sofar, August has been the same, unfortunately. Despite our small size, the weather does vary a lot in different parts of Ireland so you will encounter both sunshine and rain on your trip, often on the same day.

If you go to www.flickr.com and search for ireland summer 2009 you will notice that the scenery pics have lots of clouds and not a lot of sunshine.

But don't let any of that put you off. Our place is beautiful anyhow and glimpses of sun just make it better. Bring a fleece, get a Guinness, listen to some music and you will have a great time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
33 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Work hard, I would suggest postponing your trip for a couple of weeks, The reason is everytime I go over there I bring really great weather with me. I'll be in Ireland in September, sunshine in tow.

India
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: How has the weather been this summer?

Just came back from Ireland on 12th august..The weather was fantastic chilly breeze and around 14 degrees centigrade no rains but do not depend on the weather as it may rain anytime so always carry an umbrella...All the best

Gautam