We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney and Mizin Head help

PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney and Mizin Head help

I need some help on what is doable for my visit to Ireland.

We will be driving from Lahinch to Killarney, where we'll have a 2 night stay. Then head to Kinsale for 2 more nights. Around Killarney we would like to see the Dingle Peninsula, Killarney National Park and get down to see Mizen Head.

My thoughts are that we will need a full day to do the Dingle Peninsula drive at a leisurely pace. Is this the case? We only truly have 1 full day in Killarney.

Then I was wondering if it was possible to get to Killarney National Park when it 1st opens, and get a taste of the park, then drive down to Mizen Head, then to Kinsale.

Is this last item too much to do in 1 day?

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

Yes, one full day in Dingle would be good. It deserves more but you can see a lot on a day trip from Killarney and it is not too far away. Perhaps a stop at Inch Beach to break up the journey.

Do you think you would have some time to visit KNP on your day of arrival. The park never closes, only the parking lot at Muckross House, and so depending on time of year and weather conditions you could enjoy a stroll in the park well into the evening. In fact it is a very popular thing to do as the deer come out at night as it were.

Killarney to Kinsale via Mizen Head is doable but it is a very long drive, 150 miles, and at least 5.5 hours of non stop driving. Of course there are lots of places to stop along the way and the West Cork Coastline is a wonderful drive to do but I would not plan any major side trips that day other than stopping en route. You will want to be leaving Killarney first thing in the morning and so seeing the park earlier is advisable.

PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

Thank you for your input! I was debating whether we should visit Killarney N.P. the day we arrive or not. I think it depends on what we get done in Lahinch. We have a pretty tight schedule. We don't have much time there.

Our schedule so far is next Friday to arrive at 9am at the Shannon airport. Then go to hotel in Lahinch. I'd like to see the Cliffs of Moher and the Burren, but I don't know how much will be doable on probably no sleep on the plane. Then we head out the next day to Killarney.

But being that our hotel is right in Killarney it might not be hard to visit the park while we're there.

Is Killarney town worth a visit?

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

Yes, Killarney town is worth a visit. It is quite small and so leave the car at your hotel in you are staying anywhere close - it will be faster, cheaper and easier to do so. Which hotel are you staying at. It might even be possible to walk from your hotel to a portion of your park too but parking for most of the park areas are not as bad as trying to find parking in town.

PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

We're staying at the Cahernane House Hotel.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

And so you will be able to walk into town in less than 15 minutes at a decent pace and the park is right there. There is even a path in off the main road that starts at the entrance to your hotel that leads you into the park. You would probably want to drive though if you wished to visit Ross Castle or Muckross House.

PA
Level Contributor
56 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

Thank you for your input! I'm sure we'll ask the front desk for advice on how to get where we need to go. It's good to know we're within walking distance!

7. Re: Killarney and Mizin Head help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 December 2009, 06:17