We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
324 reviews
Save Topic
Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

You both have been very helpful. As I have mentioned in my other posts, one thing we must do ( according to my daughter ) is ride on the beach. Harvey gave me two great stables around Cork. So my questions are this:

1. Has anyone used Hop Island Stables or Rosscarberry?

2. Both of these are located west of Cork, one in Rosscarberry. Is Rosscarberry a good place to stay? There is a B &B called Castle Salem that seems to have pretty good reviews and we would love to stay in a castle.

Thank you for your help.

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

All I can offer is that Ross http://www.rosscarbery.ie/ is a great little village to stay in. I have stayed many times in self catering in the area and can attest that the horses do travel often along the two main beaches as I have had to avoid their droppings!

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,548 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

I think Doneraile is away at the moment, xcapeohio.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
10,441 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Hop island is at the edge of the city.It's on a tiny (and I do mean TINY!! island reached by a short causeway. I presume they transport you to local beaches. Friends would have used the centre, but did not do the beach rides.

Rosscarberry is a lovely little village, it has been by-passed by the main road so retains a more peaceful way of life . Plenty of beaches to choose from and a lovely base for touring west Cork. I don't know anyone who has done a beach ride there, but as it is AIRE approved it should be fine.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
5,199 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

xcapeohio

Hope you don't mind me contributing to this post!

I rented a cottage in Glandore a couple of years ago, and out of curiosity, followed the signs to "Castle Salem" - but didn't go in. It's in a beautiful, peaceful, rural location. I note from the web-site that the accommodation isn't actually in the castle itself, but a slightly more modern wing(still several hundred years old!), which is attached to the castle ruins.

I remember seeing several horses grazing in the fields next to the house/castle, and I believe the owners are quite "horsey" (if that's the way to put it!!). Maybe "horse-orientated" is a better description - lol!

If you're considering staying there - and I think it looks really nice! - then you could ask them for assistance with booking a ride.

:-)

Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Thank you everyone. More questions for you. How far is Rosscarberry from Cork and how far is Hop Island?

Everyone has been so helpful, I am going to trouble you a bit more. We are trying to see a great deal in a short time, not how my wife and I usually travel but this is our last trip with our daughter before college and she has a list. We have 7 nights, we want to see Glendalough, Cahir Castle, Cork University, Blarney castle and the Waterford factory. We also want to spend time in Dublin on either end. The towns we are interested in staying in are Dungarvan, Rosscarberry and maybe Kilkenny. We will be in Rosscarberry two nights, so we can go HB Riding and have one full day for it if necessary. I have no idea how long it takes to go to each point and how long one may stay at each site. i know some of this is personal preference. For example, if we had an early start out of Dublin, could we see Glendalough and the Waterford factory and spend the night in Dungarvan? Again, any help would be so appreciated.

Thank you

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

The answer to your last question would be yes, you could go to those places on a trip from Dublin to Dungarvan but the factory is now pretty much closed and may not reopen for your visit. The visitors center http://www.waterfordvisitorcentre.com/ is expected to stay open though at least for the time being.

For travel times around Ireland I like to use http://www.multimap.com/directions/ for times and maps though as with other such sites their times are for best case scenario.

Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Everyone has great advise, I have one more question. The website Tonyirish provided has been great. However, it shows a travel distance from Wicklow to Kilkenny as 2.0 hours, you drive almost back to Dublin then to Kilkenny. Is there a short cut? Looking at the map, it seems they are very close, if there is a road to connect them rather than retrace your drive. We want to go from Dublin to Glendalough then to Kilkenny, how long should this take for a drive?

Merced, California
Destination Expert
for Killarney
Level Contributor
3,451 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Sometimes the maps have to be tweaked to get what you want.

For Dublin to Kilkenny via Glendalough I typed in Dublin to Kilkenny and then hit the 'via' button in between and put in Laragh (in Wicklow) as it is the nearest village in the area. This route will not have you backtracking but as it is on some slow mountain roads the, being 102 miles long, will take 3.5 hours at the very least. http://maps.google.com/ also works, just click on Add Destinations and type your towns in order. It puts the trip at 93 miles and suggests 2.5 hours.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,606 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

The reason your route from Wicklow to Kilkenny brings you almost back to Dublin is to put you on the good, fast roads. There are several alternative routes, including one via Glendalough but, although they may look like shortcuts on the map, they could take longer due to the meandering roads. Personally I much prefer the meandering route as long as you have plenty of time and take it steady. After Glendalough you could go down through Avoca and then via Aughrim, Tinahely, Shillelagh, and Tullow (R747/725) on to Carlow and then a quick run to Kilkenny. This is very scenic, passing through pretty towns, but you should still allow 2 hrs (without stops) after visiting Glendalough.

Ohio
Level Contributor
319 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rosscarberry Question to Doneralle and Harvey Ireland

Thank you again for all your help. Another question. We were going to drive from Dublin south and see the sights around Cork, then drive back to Dublin to catch a plane to Amsterdam. I just found a flight that goes directly from Cork to Amsterdam. Is there any reason to go back to Dublin? can i rent a car one way and drop it off in the Cork Airport?