We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gaelic Football/Hurling

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Gaelic Football/Hurling

I've been perusing the gaa.ie site trying to see if it will be possible to attend a match of some sort while we are in the country. I've managed to find the fixtures list and then the page that shows the clubs with both the English and Gaelic names! Now, I'm wondering if someone can tell me which team is hosting each match based on how they are listed on the page. In the US, the home team is traditionally listed second, but I'm not sure how the Irish handle this. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

8 Márta

Allianz GAA National Football League Round 3

Roinn I

Maigh Eo v Iar Mhí

Doire v Ciarraí

Dún na nGall v Áth Cliath

If someone can tell me what the different "Roinn" means, that would help too. I'm assuming round, but not sure why they would have different rounds on the same day?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Roinn means "Class2 .Effectively it is the division the team is in. So Roinn usually has the stronger teams in that league.

In Gaelic games the League competitions which are getting underway are NOT considered important.

The big competition is the All-Ireland Championship which begins in May and ends with the All-Ireland finals in September.

The teams you see are actually the counties of Ireland so rivalry is Always very intense.

The home team that you see on the fixture list is usually played in that county

All team games will take part all over the country so if you tell us where you are on a specific day (usually Sunday)somebody will be able to tell you what games are on and what counties are playing.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Maigh Eo v Iar Mhí

Doire v Ciarraí

Dún na nGall v Áth Cliath

Translation:

Mayo v Westmeath

Derry v Kerry

Donegal v Dublin

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Thanks Suzy! That helps.

The question I have is where would that Donegal vs. Dublin match be held?

Based on the listing, Can I assume it will be held in Donegal (first team listed) or Dublin (second team listed)?

Thanks!

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Thanks Suzy! That helps.

The question I have is where would that Donegal vs. Dublin match be held?

Based on the listing, Can I assume it will be held in Donegal (first team listed) or Dublin (second team listed)?

Thanks!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

It should be in Donegal but sometimes fixtures can change. the GAA is notorious for this.

As well as the "County teams" The counties are also broken down into club teams which represent towns and villages and rural communities. If you are eagre to see some football and hurling you can also ask locally to see if there are fixtures on!

Dublin, Ireland
14 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Yeah the Donegal/Dublin game will most likely be played in Donegal.

I would imagine that if it were to be played in Dublin, they would have the fixture under lights on the previous (Sat) evening in Parnell Park.

County Clare...
Destination Expert
for County Clare, Aran Islands, Bunratty, The Burren
Level Contributor
8,373 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Suzy - good on ya:)

Gogophs, this might make life a little easier for further research:

independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/allianz…

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
5,247 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Great list Ferdia. The GAA should really be more tourist friendly.

Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,102 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

If you let me know where you will be on what dates throughout your stay I can check what games will be on and where.

And as already mentioned the GAA's website leaves a lot to be desired. They've recently signed an agreement with Google so hopefully this will bring their websites and info etc up to date

Indiana
Level Contributor
41 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gaelic Football/Hurling

Thanks for the link Ferdia!

I've spent a couple of hours digging around on that site as well as hoganstand which I came across....not to mention wikipedia for various county gaa information. So based on our schedule, these 3 games seem to be our best bets. (I'm assuming there will be smaller club games going on as well in most cities on the weekends?)

We are flying into Shannon at 9:30 AM on March 8th. Two games are possibilities that day.

Clare vs. Waterford @ Ennis Park 2:30 pm.

Limerick vs. Tipperary @ Gaelic Grounds 2:30 pm.

Since we want to make our way over to the Cliffs at the start of our trip, heading up towards Ennis makes more sense for us. I'm guessing that for my first game I won't notice that it is "Division 4" quality?

The other game that might work for us is towards the end of our trip on March 14th.

Laois vs. Cork @ O'Moore Park (Portlaoise) 7:30 pm.

A few general questions:

Does it make much of a difference which match we try to go to?

Can we purchase tickets at the gate in most instances?

I assume the games are safe to attend?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide! These boards are a savior!

Gogophs