We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

Which Ireland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
usa
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

we are considering a long week-end at here. Has anyone been? Feedback.

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

eirewego

I have not stayed there, but live very close by and know many people who work there. I can't give you an opinion on what it is like to stay there personally, but get lots of feedback from staff. Is there anything specific I can help you with?

usa
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

We have a chance to stay here-- just wanted some feedback. Love fabulous on line--! Like a fairytale

Ireland
Destination Expert
for Kilkenny
Level Contributor
3,600 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

Yes, it is very beautiful.

The estate is divided into two parts by the River Nore. There is a 'residential side' which, from a local's point of view, has become very built-up. Many very expensive houses have been built around the Golf Course. Most of them are out of sight. But there seems to be constantly some building going on. On the other side of the river the estate is completely unspoilt and wonderful for walking, cycling or horseriding. There is a working stud farm on this side and the site of the thoroughbreds in the paddocks only adds to the scenery.

There are also many secret places from the time when the estate was the home of the Earls of Carrick. Hidden wells, a graveyard of the Earls, a walled rose garden, working hunt kennels. Seek out the head gardener or other locals who know all the places to see.

As far as accommodation is concerned, I would strongly recommend the rooms in the main house. The Hunter's Yard rooms are convienient for the Leisure Centre and Golf Club, but are quite small and have little character. The rooms in the main house are splendid, especially if you can get one of the original rooms (not in the wings) which have the original plaster ceilings and fireplaces.

The Rose Garden apartments are also good for families as they are self-catering and there is a good supermaret in Thomastown.

Plenty of activities. The free ones are cycling, tennis, croquet and a very nice pool.

Service can be mixed. A large proportion of the staff are not irish, although some still are. This does not affect the service), but local information can be restricted. If you seek out the local staff members they will be only too happy to advise you of the locality.

Personally, if I was an american visitor, I would be impressed with Mount Juliet and I do extoll it wherever I go. But there are flaws, mainly the excessive building, but this is perhaps my prejudice. I knew it before when the McCalmont family owned it.

Also it is located in a lovely area with pretty towns and villages round about and a lot of historical places.

4. Re: Has anyone been to Mount Juliet Conrad in KilKenny?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 11:20