We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

Any suggestions for a route and stops between Killarney and Limerick. We will be leaving Killarney after a 2 day stay and heading to Limerick for a 2 day stay. We are using Limerick as a base (b&b already booked so can't change what city we are staying in) and plan to see the Cliffs of Moher and Aran Islands while we are there. Would love any advice. :)

Here are some of the opitions i have thought about...

1. Leaving Killarney early morning and heading straight to Cliffs and Aran islands to do a tour via Cliffs of Moher cruises or another of the tour companies there. Then going to Limerick that evening and that leaves the whole next day open for sites in the Shannon/Limerick area.

2. I've read several posts with lots of interesting sounding towns/pretty drives that we could stop at getting from Killarney to Limerick..we don't mind driving out of the way. Then spend our 2nd day doing the Cliffs of Moher and Aran Island tours.

Thank you in advance for any advice!! We are leaving soon and don't know that there is even a word to describe how excited we are!! :)

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,278 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

Hi there,

What time of the year are you visiting? Brighter evenings are more favourable to long distance driving.

Where do you plan to visit in Killarney?

Do you plan to visit Dingle?

The traditional route is Killarney-Farranfore-Castleisland-Abbeyfeale-Adare-Limerick.

Adare is definately worth stopping in www.adarevillage.com

Yes, if the days are long you can do the Cliffs and the Burren.

The Aran Islands issue is more complex, and not having been there, I am reluctant to comment. But its not the sort of place you can pop in to for a few hours.

Killaloe is lovely as well.

Bunratty Castle should also be included.

Just a few suggestions.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

We will be staying in Limerick on Aug 14th and 15th. In Killarney we are going to be doing the Ring of Kerry..I'm sad about not seeing Dingle but don't know how to fit it in...Would you suggest trying that on our day that we are heading to Limerick, even though it really isn't on the way? There is just soo much to see and soo little time to do it in. Thank you for your other suggestions I'll check them out. We really appreciate it. :)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

I think your second option is a better idea.

As Bean suggested, Adare is worth a visit which can be done on your drive from Killarney to Limerick.

It would be much better to leave all of your second day free for the Cliffs of Moher and Burren area.

I'm not quite sure if you intend to visit the visitor centre at the Cliffs or just intend to take in the view from the sea. Maybe you could let us know.

The cruises that you mention actually leave from Doolin and it is possible to combine a trip around the Cliffs with a day trip to the Aran Islands.

Have a look at www.cliffs-of-moher.com

However this would take up all of your second day.

Maybe you could let us know if this is actually what you intended and we could help you some more.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick, Killarney
Level Contributor
27,278 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

Dingle - to see properly, is a day trip. I'll be honest although its technically possible to see it on the day you're heading to Limerick, I personally wouldn't recommend it.

I'd prefer to see a place, rather than just tick a box to say I've been there....

If you were to take a day to go from Killarney to Limerick, there are a number of different things you could do:

Drive to Ballybunion and up the coast road, stopping off at the Irish Coffee and Flying Boat Museum in Foynes and in Glin before arriving in Adare.

Drive to Gougane Barra and then up through Cork to Adare and into Limerick

Drive up to Limerick via Adare and visit Killaloe.

Drive up to Limerick via Adare and see the Hunt Museum in Limerick.

Banner Girl's suggestion re the Cliffs and the Aran Islands is a great suggestion.

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

I was thinking that the visit to the Cliffs and cruise from Doolin to aran islands would take up a whole day. I will definetly look into Adare for the drive from Killarney to Limerick. Thank you so much for the suggestions. :)

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
224 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

I love Bean's suggestions for the drives up from Killarney, feel like doing them all myself now:-)

I was in Killaloe last week and it was gorgeous.

If you do decide to spend the whole second day doing the cruise and The Aran Islands, maybe you might consider going to Doolin via Lahinch and the coast road.

It is much longer but the views are stunning and well worth the extra drive.

Keep in mind also, that if the weather is very bad, the sailings may be cancelled.

7. Re: Sugguested route Killarney to Limerick

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 07:17