We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ryanair and train travel questions

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Ryanair and train travel questions

I will be taking my 17 year old daughter to Europe in July. Because we were in London already, and because I found incredibly cheap airfare, we decided to spend 3 days in Ireland. My plans are to fly in to Dublin and fly back out of Cork. I would like to take a "slow train" along the Irish coast. Would you suggest a side trip up to Drogheda or a trip to Wexford and then to Cork? Also, does anyone know if a US passport fits the requirement for Ryanairs online checkin (to save a few pounds)? If my passport is due to expire within two weeks of travel, does that break the deal? I tried calling their number - but could never get to a live person and I could never find a way to email my questions to them. Finally, any suggestions in Dublin and Cork to make it more memorable. Thank you for any advice.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Wild...
1,206 Reviews
from US$53.90*
Best Seller
Giant’s Causeway and Northern Ireland...
1,013 Reviews
from US$77.80*
Best Seller
Aran Islands, Cliffs of Moher Day...
421 Reviews
from US$47.90*
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

It's not a lot of time, but if it were me, I'd do:

Day 1, arrive Dublin as early as possible, do the hop on, hop off tour bus and anything else that can be recommended by other dublin experts.

Day 2, Early train from Dublin to Killarney *approx 3 hour journey), treat yourselves and stay in the very traditional Malton Hotel which is only a 2 minute walk from the train station. It's really very nice. You might get a deal if you email them. Do an organised bus tour of the Kerry area. Lots of people recommend Deros tours based out of Killarney. You must fit in Muckross House at least and try and do some of the ring of Kerry.

Day three, train or bus to Cork. Bus takes about 2 hours and is a nice trip. Train takes about the same time and is a little more comfortable.

When you get to Cork, a taxi to the airport is about 12euro.

Doesn't seem like a lot to get done, but you don't have a lot of time.

Another completely different holiday would be to base yourself in Dublin city for the three days and take two day tours out of Dublin to say Wicklow (Beautiful) and Kilkenny (very historic). If you are interested in those have a look at www.buseireann.ie and click on the 'Day tours' tab.

Oh no, I forgot you must fly out of Cork.

In that case, Day 1 - Dublin City, Day 2 - Wicklow tour, Day 3 train to Cork.

What do you think?

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

Forgot to answer your Ryanair question. It's a good one did you look at the FAQ section of the Ryanair website?

I'm thinking they will definitely take the US passport as it's only needed to confirm that you are who you are. They will also accept driving license, anything official with a photo really. Not sure about the 2 week expiry question.

By the way it would be easier to contact the Pope, than a human person in Ryanair. I know, i've tried and gave up.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

Bryno, what wonderful information! No wonder you are the expert for the sight. I think I will follow your advice on the Dublin/Cork itinerary. Does the Wicklow tour come in to sight of the ocean. I would love to see the beautiful jagged cliffs. I realize that it is not enough time to savor your beautiful country but it is better than never having been able to see it. I suppose that difficulty in contact a live person at Ryanair is the reason their costs are so low. If I perform on line check in and there is a problem with my identification will they just charge me the extra fee or (shudder) prevent me from taking the flight? I would like to be sure before I book and pay. This is my first visit to your sight (seat61)led me here. I have found YOUR input quite useful and will be sure to utilize you again. I apologize in advance if I become a bother. : )

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,550 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

Ryanair's online check-in service is only available to holders of EU/EEA passports or ID cards. According to their website, passport holders from other countries can get check-in charges refunded if they don't qualify for online check-in solely because of this.

Waterford, Ireland
Level Contributor
6,608 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

Just on the subject of passports, this paragraph is from the UK passport website, but maybe worth checking

- Check - When does your passport expire? Some countries have immigration requirements for a passport to remain valid for a minimum period (usually at least six months) beyond the date of entry to the country. Check the country's requirements before you travel and make sure your passport is valid - visit http://www.fco.gov.uk/knowbeforeyougo or call 020 7008 0232. If you are travelling with children then make sure that all family members possess valid documentation.

Also if you fly Ryanair, read the small print, especially about baggage. You will indeed get a cheap flight but do not expect any personal contact, service or even interest. And the 'extras' can add up very quickly.

The train from Dublin to Wicklow on the Wexford line goes along the very edge of the coast.

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
21 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

Wow... what excellent advise from everyone! I am particularly interested on the passport expiration requirements... I am trying to contact the UK embassy as I type to find out if I am in trouble - I don't know if I would have time to renew my passport before my July 4th departure... : ( I will take that train path as suggested. Thank you all so very much.

Saginaw, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
9,181 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

How to get your US passport in a hurry:

…state.gov/passport/get/first/first_831.html

…state.gov/passport/…processing_1740.html

If you get going now, roaminokie, you should be fine.

All the best.

8. Re: Ryanair and train travel questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 01:18