We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)

4 posts
1 review
Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

Hi,

My husband and I are arriving in Dublin 9/2, spending the night, then to Galway for one night, Doolin 2 nights, Dingle 2 nights and have two more nights before we head to Dublin to fly out on 9/10

Any suggestions? We are interested in scenery, good food, the Irish people, and lastly history in that order.

Appreciate any suggestions or comments regarding the tentative itinerary.

Betsy

20 replies to this topic
Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
6,583 posts
41 reviews
107 helpful votes
1. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

I am just going to pretend that everything is right in the world come September! :-)

We have had 4 trips to Ireland thus far with a total of about 60 nights. The next 2 week trip is all planned and we are hopeful for April/May 2022.

To be honest, I would move the 2 nights from Doolin and put them to Galway. That will give you time to see some of the area around Galway such as one of the islands and some of the Connemara region. We were scheduled to stay 3 nights in Doolin on our second trip and left after 2, going back up to Galway (where we had already been for 5 nights on a previous trip). Another alternative is to certainly add at least 1 night to Galway but maybe have 2 nights in Ennis for a great location in Clare.

With 2 nights in an area, you only have 1 day really. Slow down, take longer in the places you already have. We stayed in Dingle for 4 nights and didn't even scrape the surface. Dingle to Dublin is a long trip, maybe consider taking the train from Killarney to Dublin after your Dingle visit (that you hopefully extend).

With such a short time frame, I would probably cut out anything outside of Dublin and Galway.

Remember in Ireland less is more with the exceptions of time and money!

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

If you want to see history spend a night in Dublin. Where are pubs with good food in all those places there is only one village in Ireland that doesn’t have a pub.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
3. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

“ ·

I am just going to pretend that everything is right in the world come September” it might not be right in the whole world but I expect it to be right in Ireland.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
6,583 posts
41 reviews
107 helpful votes
4. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

Agreed Alex!

Clifden, Ireland
Level Contributor
224 posts
5 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

I'd certainly spend a good day exploring Connemara, it's breathtaking. Clifden castle is so worth a visit as is Dog's Bay Beach.

September 2021 is a possibility. But that's my own personal opinion.

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
33,265 posts
101 reviews
134 helpful votes
6. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

I think two nights in a location with long drives in between isn't a lot of fun. I appreciate you want to see a lot but there is a huge amount to see between Doolin and Dingle (not a fan of Doolin here but lots of people love it).

I will say to you, that our vaccine programme here is taking off slowly rather than quickly. I can't see the "wet pubs" being open until a significant number of people have been vaccinated. So while you might get to Ireland it might not be the Ireland you imagine.

The Galway Connemara Mayo area is gorgeous. My personal recommendation would be to stick to the North West: Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Donegal. They have everything you specify and there would be less car time and more fun time.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

“ September 2021 is a possibility. But that's my own personal opinion.”

I would say that assuming the OP is from a first world country where they are giving out the vaccine there is a 90% chance they will be able to travel. But only 75% chance of an enjoyable trip as we saw last summer although you could travel to some countries it was still pretty depressing with pubs closed and lots of other restrictions in place. If the OP is from a third world country the trip is a write off.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
943 posts
3 reviews
12 helpful votes
8. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

“ I can't see the "wet pubs" being open until a significant number of people have been vaccinated”

I agree. September is seven months away so not impossible but far from guaranteed.

9. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)

-:- Message from Tripadvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the Tripadvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 13 March 2021, 14:34

Bishop Auckland...
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye, Ireland
Level Contributor
8,902 posts
105 reviews
89 helpful votes
10. Re: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Save

I have a moved over September holiday to next September 2021...

I'll doubtful. I'll reassess in May and than cancel.

Reply to: Ireland Itinerary September 2021 (fingers crossed)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.