We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
212 posts
98 reviews
Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

Hi Everyone, We'll be in Killarney for 3 nights and then driving to Galway and spending 2 nights and then on to Dublin for 3 nights in July. We fly into Shannon and then out of Dublin. We'd like to have a scenic drive including the Cliffs of Moher and possibly taking the Shannon Ferry (weather dependent) . I've read so many posts and forums on this topic to the point where I'm getting more confused. I ordered the Michelin map of Ireland and the Collins spiral road atlas so I can get a better understanding. What do you think of this scenic drive? Tralee on N22 to Talbert on N69 then the ferry across Shannon River to Killmer. Then the coastal route N67 to the Cliffs of Moher and then on to Galway. Help:) I appreciate any advice and help. Best Regards, Pat

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,279 Reviews
from US$52.60*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,060 Reviews
from US$76.00*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
498 Reviews
from US$46.80*
5 replies to this topic
Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
212 posts
98 reviews
1. Re: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

I also wondered if you should sign up for a toll tag account or just pay the tolls as we get to them? Thanks again, Pat

Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,024 posts
389 reviews
2. Re: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

I've done that "scenic coastal" drive that you mention using the kilimer-tarbert ferry and its neither very scenic or very coastal for the most part! While the roads are nice country roads, I found the journey uninteresting and the ferry trip which takes about 10 minutes is frustrating particularly if you don't get to the ferry at the right time you could be waiting 30 minutes for it. Taking the Ferry doesn't save you any total journey time.

Personally, I would go Killarney - Adare - towards Limerick - Cliffs of Moher - Galway

Regarding tolls, don't bother with the tags, paying as you go is no trouble, I do it all the time and have never been held up because of this. All toll areas have 'humans' who will give you change if you don't have it yourself.

Exeter, Rhode Island
Level Contributor
212 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

Hi Bryno, Wow that is good to know. There will be 12 of us in 2 vans so trying to select the right route with out overwhelming everyone with too much driving is a delicate balance. I'm trying to figure out stops along the way too. I like the idea of your route. It sounds like the ferry is not worth the time or trouble if you're limited on time. That's great to know on the toll booths. I'm so used to buying passes ahead of time in the states. I love the idea of dealing with a person:) Any recommendations for lunch along the way? Thanks again, Pat

County Tipperary...
Level Contributor
289 posts
97 reviews
4. Re: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

Bryno's route is better, make your 1st stop Adare (where we live) there are thatched cottages , a castle and 2 monasteries, Pat Collins bar, on the right in the center of Adare, is the best place for lunch. Drive on for about 20 minutes to Bunratty, big Castle and folk village, Gallaghers is a great spot for lunch here, then on to the C O M via Ennis, Ennistymon and Lahinch.

1 post
5. Re: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher

After spending 5 days in Killarney we are also going to drive to Galway and want to stop at Cliffs of Moher. How was your drive and do you have any other recommendations of things to see on the way? Thanks so much and I hope you had a great trip!

Reply to: Scenic drive from Killarney to Galway with Cliffs of Moher
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted