We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Teens in Ireland

Temecula
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Teens in Ireland

I know that the legal drinking age is 18, but are there any other legalities that would prevent our 15 year old twins from joining us in a pub during the evening to listen to music? If it is a regional thing, we will be in Galway, and possibly, killaloe, doolin, ennis or kinsale.

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,206 Reviews
from US$53.90*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,013 Reviews
from US$77.80*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
421 Reviews
from US$47.90*
4 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,002 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Teens in Ireland

Under 18s are only allowed in licensed premises until 10pm (May to September) if they are with a parent or guardian. The licence holder can also prohibit the children being on the premises even before those hours and with parental accompaniment if they feel it may be injurious to the child's health, safety and welfare. Children aged between 15-17 years who are attending a private function at which a substantial meal is served may remain on the premises after 10pm.

I got the above info online. However, some pubs take this very seriously and others do not, it all depends on location and how well the law is being enforced locally. You have two options: Go by the letter of the law or ask the pub staff for "guidance".

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,747 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Teens in Ireland

Just behave respectfully and you shouldn't have any issues.

Don't let the teens drink alcohol, but do get them soft drinks and some snacks, don't let them run around the place annoying others (not suggesting you would) and if they start looking tired, take them out.

And as Bryno has said, politely asking will probably make things a lot easier too.

Temecula
Level Contributor
25 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Teens in Ireland

Thanks to both of you. My kids will definitely be respectful and have sodas and food. So, hopefully we will be good. I doubt we would stay out much past 10 anyways.

Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,645 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Teens in Ireland

Not much music starts before ten out here.

Reply to: Teens in Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted