We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading out tomorrow

kda
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Heading out tomorrow

I have no questions (well, yes, I have a ton, but I am hoping they will be answered as we traverse the island!) but want to thank everyone for all of your posts. I've trolled for a while and taken lots of notes from all of you. This is our itinerary: Land in Dublin, hotel reservations for 2 nights, then hit the road and head towards the Dingle area. Will book as we go so as we aren't obligated to be anywhere and can just linger if we find a place we really like. I've looked at B&B availability in the villages we are interested in and there seems to be ample. This will be our first time doing a trip w/o everything pre-planned and am really looking forward to that aspect of it. I will ask this ONE question: anything worthwhile stopping for between Dublin and Limerick? Will post trip report once we are home. Best wishes to all of you as you plan or embark on your trip!

Best Seller
Cliffs of Moher Tour Including Wild...
1,205 Reviews
from US$53.50*
Best Seller
Northern Ireland Highlights Day Trip...
1,012 Reviews
from US$77.20*
Best Seller
Aran Islands and Cliffs of Moher Day...
416 Reviews
from US$47.50*
9 replies to this topic
Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
13,997 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Enjoy it all.

Here are some ideas as you travel from Dublin to Limerick. Google each of them to ensure they are of interest to you before you travel.

Newbridge Cutlery in Newbridge, a beautiful glittery showroom and great café, but upstairs is free entry to the small but very interesting 'Museum of Style icons'. Newbridge Cutlery is an iconic irish brand.

Emo Court designed by James Gandon(one of Irelands leading architects) for Earls of portarlington. Nice gardens and café, and hourly tours of the house. Grounds free to explore

Rock of Dunamase (near Portlaoise /Stradbally)

Castletown House. Stunning example of Palladian Architecture, grounds free to explore.

Killaloe (County Limerick), this lovely lakeside village, on the banks of the River Shannon is worth seeing. A lovely small lakeside park is great for sitting in the sunshine, and having a picnic. Birth place of Brian Boru. A 13 arch bridge links to the village of Ballina which is in County Tipperary.

Edited: 26 May 2018, 08:37
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,302 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Adding to Bryno's suggestions above for a stop in Killaloe / Brian Boru Heritage Centre as you turn right crossing the bridge is the lane to the Washerwowan's Bridge Stairs.

SAT NAV: 52.8082, -8.4374

Less than 2 minutes drive on the left is Templekelly Church and Graveyard, beautiful church ruins, remains of a font and stones with unusual inscriptions & symbols.

SAT NAV: 52.8022, -8.4337

Kesh_grammy

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,731 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Are you aware that next weekend is a bank holiday weekend here? And it will be busy in many locations.

Hopefully you will spend some time in Limerick and visit places such as:

King John's Castle (a military castle, 1400s)

St Mary's Cathedral (1168, endowed by Donal Mor O'Brien, a beautiful building with incredible acoustics)

The Hunt Museum (There is currently a Sybil Connolly exhibition on which ends on the 31st May)

The Frank McCourt Museum

In addition to the locations mentioned by Bryno, the National Stud and Japanese Gardens may also be of interest. Its been a very late Spring and everything plant wise is on overdrive at the moment, so the gardens could be fabulous looking.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,302 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading out tomorrow

kda,

After leaving Killaloe you might make a stop at Glenstal Abbey, (about 30 minute drive).

visitballyhoura.com/index.php/…

Kesh_grammy

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Have a great time. Let us know how winging it goes. I’ve been amazed this trip at how many places were full, even my B&B 6 miles out of Dingle, with 8 rooms was full the 3 nights I was there. Safe travels

kda
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
131 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading out tomorrow

I apologize for replying so late. I guess I missed the alert emails in my email account. Just wanted to say "winging it" when great. Never a problem finding a place to stay.with very reasonable prices. We did hotels instead of b-n-b's but saw tons w/ vacancies. We didnt cover as much territory as I was hoping to but I plan to be back...maybe w/o hubby!! He was a great sport but this is obviously not his kind of trip. Far too much driving for his liking. Do y'all go often?

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading out tomorrow

glad you had a good time.....that's great....

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,731 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Glad you had such a good time and glad it worked out well for you.

I'm living here :o)

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
31,557 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading out tomorrow

Glad you enjoyed and many thanks for endorsing my long held mantra of "winging it."

Reply to: Heading out tomorrow
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted