We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It was hard to come home.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
It was hard to come home.

I have just returned from Ireland; a trip that was everything I had hoped for and more.

A huge contribution to what I accomplished was the endless help received here and the joie de vivre of the Irish people, everywhere I went.

Not a day went by that I didn’t hurt from laughter.

I would like to thank each of you directly and individually, but I fear overlooking someone. This forum is the model all others should be emulating.

I need some time to filter my thoughts and notes, but I will eventually do a trip report.

Teaser; Howth, Cobh, Sligo and the Leap Visitor Card.

In the meantime and you may not want to talk about it, but;

I spent May holiday weekend in and around Killarney, as did a group of what I understand were amateur car rally enthusiasts. Perhaps more appropriately described as Animal House on wheels.

Traffic was blocked or delayed, on a major route into the city, by cars and young spectators lining the roadway, while testosterone performed burn outs and other stunts. One particular challenge seemed to be, which male in a group, could achieve the highest and farthest squirt over a metal guardrail.

Sraid an Cholaiste (College Street) resembled a toxic waste dump, all weekend. Trash, enough food waste to rescue Somalia, broken glass, discarded bits of clothing, vomit and the stench of urine from Saturday, were still there Monday morning.

I’m curious why, since it seemed unanimous that “these people are not wanted anywhere,” nothing is done to control it, clean it up or prevent the negative impact on tourists. While I would give Killarney a second chance, many others said they would not return.

Everyone enjoys a party but this seemed a bit much.

Am I missing some benefit here? Over reacting?

22 replies to this topic
County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,289 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It was hard to come home.

Glad to hear that you had a great trip Tim & I'm looking forward to your trip report. Unfortunately, it gets messy at a lot of the big car Rallies around the country

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It was hard to come home.

Oh Tim, good to hear from you! And I also look forward to reading your trip report as are many other, I'm sure.

Sorry about Killarney, unfortunately this kind of carry-on at festivals and the like is not restricted to that town...

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,998 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It was hard to come home.

Look forward to reading your reports x

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
10,461 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It was hard to come home.

Ah Tim good to hear from you! Take your time with the report it will be worth waiting for.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It was hard to come home.

Hi Clauds. I get the whole festivities thing, the related nonsense and I've actually been one of the undesirables a time or two as well.

What struck me was the lack of a 4am army with mop & bucket. Perhaps those who would clean up were in ill health.

I just didn't like to see Killarney getting a bad rep as a result.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
9,452 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It was hard to come home.

Tim, I don't think Killarney need worry about getting a bad reputation. But it would be interesting to see whether you got a reply from the town council if you wrote to them outlining your concerns.

Regarding you having "actually been one of the undesirables a time or two as well" I'm glad that you've grown up!

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It was hard to come home.

Hey, I've not grown up, just been a bit tamed.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal
Level Contributor
21,342 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It was hard to come home.

Greetings Tim,

So looking forward to reading your trip report & your thoughts on Counties Sligo & Donegal.

Kesh_grammy

Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,747 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It was hard to come home.

Unfortunately this is why I tell people to avoid Killarney if possible during the May Bank Holiday weekend. It isn't comfortable.

But I hope the rest of your holiday was wonderful.

Vancouver Island...
Level Contributor
1,647 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It was hard to come home.

Not to worry, Bean. It was not a deterrent and I found good refuge with Linehan, Brien and Murphy.

Reply to: It was hard to come home.
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted