We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

I need some feedback please. First time to Ireland in mid-September from Dallas. Flying in and out of Dublin (it was a good deal). Arriving on a midday Monday and Flying out the next Monday mid-morning. That gives us 6 full days. I will be taking my mother who is 61 so I need to work it around what she can do. She's worried about not being able to keep up so we are looking at a slow to moderate paced trip. We both want to find a way to see a bit of the west coast, but do not want to stay in 4 different hotels and spend all our time driving. I've never driven on the left, but am not too worried about it. The narrow roads, etc... do not bother me either. I am from the country.

I am wondering..should we just hub in Dublin and do a single day bus trip to say Cliffs of Moyer and call it good or should we split up our trip between Dublin and a west location like Galway or Shannon and rent a car or do bus trips from there? I definitely want to see the Cliffs of Moyer and I am a huge fan of historic and Unesco sites. Kerry and Dingle would be great, but I am afraid too far out. Seems like bus tours out of Dublin, while the easiest, would be such a letdown with the actual time spent at the locations. Thanks in advance!

10 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
16,610 posts
21 reviews
1. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

I would get the coach to Galway from Dublin airport, hire a car in Galway and have three or four nights there, turn in the car and go back to Dublin by train , rest of the nights in Dublin.

Do not even consider Shannon which is no more than an airport on an industrial estate.

If you have two or three days in Galway, watch the weather, and pick the best one for the cliffs of Moher.

Has your mother got medical problems? I cant see why a normally healthy 61 year old would slow you down at all.

Edited: 26 April 2018, 14:41
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Charlottesville, Virginia, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
293 reviews
2. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Definitely head to Galway... Get over the Jet lag / sleep deprivation.. Galway is a vibrant (town), take it at your own pace..I have rented a vehicle in Galway without any issues and turned it back in (a month later) take the train to Dublin, (less costly to pre-book).. ... Consider driving to Connemara, which is stunningly beautiful at anytime.. Be aware viewing / visiting the Cliffs of Moher can be weather dependent.

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
3. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Thanks for the post. She has MS. Some days are good, some days not as much. She gets around fine on her own, but sometimes some med side effects and some back pain slow her down. I could envision a day or maybe two on the trip where she sleeps in and I catch up to her in the afternoon. I just don’t want to over stress her with 15 hour jam packed days.

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
4. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Thanks for the input!

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,338 posts
278 reviews
5. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Yep, both Kesh and fuschia have the right idea and that is your best option !

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
11,020 posts
228 reviews
6. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Bus from Dublin straight to Galway is the way to go.

Pick a hotel in the centre of both Dublin and Galway so your Mum can easily pop back for a rest if necessary and you can still go out and do some sightseeing.

Not knowing your budget or dates but

In Dublin look at Brooks Hotel and Buswells Hotel.

What a lovely trip you are organising for your Mum - she's very lucky to have such a thoughtful son.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
293 reviews
7. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

I will add I have stayed at the Park House hotel & it was lovely. Short walk to the New Coach bus station & the train / bus depot next to the Meyrick hotel.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
43 reviews
8. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Agree with Kesh, we have stayed at the Park House Hotel two times thus far and really enjoy it. If you can book a B&B+dinner rate, you won't be disappointed. It was one of our favorite dinners on our first trip.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,551 posts
293 reviews
9. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

@Akandale,

Park House impecable service, their aim is to please the guest.

Kesh_grammy

Dallas, Texas
4 posts
10. Re: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip

Thank you very much. Sounds like we have a general plan. Just have to fill in the excursions.

Reply to: Slow to Moderate Paced Trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted