We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Overwhelmed!!

Montgomery
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Help Overwhelmed!!

--I am traveling with husband, 23 year old son and his girlfriend for graduation trip, so 4 adults.

--Like to meet the locals, stay in locally owned B&B or Airbnb type accommodations (that will accommodate 4/room) and eat good food.

--Will rent a car.

--Prefer less crowded sights and off the beaten path things to do and see, although we realize the popular sights are popular for good reason. We definitely want to see some of the beautiful countryside and do some casual hiking.

--Tentative travel dates Arrive morning of May 7 - depart morning of May 15, so 8 days total including our jet-lag day :).

Here are my TOP questions for now:

1. Realizing we can't see it all, how in the world do I narrow down on the must sees? I like the idea of drawing a line across the country as some have suggested, but can't settle on North or South since there are so many great things in each place. For first timers, the South seems to be most recommended. Is it really preferred over Northern Ireland with some stops in the Republic of Ireland as well? Some of the spots in Northern Ireland that I hate to miss are the St. George's Market in Belfast (which I just realized is only open Friday-Sunday), Giant's Causeway and the Inishowen area. Will we get to see more overall if we skip this and focus on the South?

2. I hear that there is a bank holiday the day we arrive and that Ed Sheeran will be touring Ireland and many hotels are sold out. Is this enough to cause us to reconsider our dates or should we just work around it?

3. I think we might stay in Dublin the first and last nights of the trip or the last 2 nights of the trip. That leaves 6 nights elsewhere to be broken down into 2 or 3 other stays. Looking for suggestions on these so that we can make the most of our trip and see the maximum without over doing it.

4 If we can't fly into Dublin and out of Shannon or vice versa, it seems to be just a 2 hour drive from that area back to Dublin. Is that accurate?

7 replies to this topic
Dingle, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
15,626 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

Do you mean you want accommodation for four adults in one bedroom? This would be highly unusual and, quite frankly, thought of as weird. You need two double or two twin rooms, rooms here are not large, and four adults plus luggage in one room with one bathroom would be uncomfortable to say the least.

County Londonderry...
Destination Expert
for Belfast, Northern Ireland, County Donegal
Level Contributor
3,427 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

You could have a couple of nights in Belfast, then move to Dery/Londonderry. From here you can see Inishowen and a lot of Donegal. You could get to Dublin Airport in around 3 hours from here also.

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
20,113 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

Bit of a push but cut 2 days from this 10 day plan. https://drive.google.com/open…

Tampa
Level Contributor
1,227 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

I'm with Tony, you can only see so much in the time you have. I would go to Northern Ireland. Plenty to keep you busy at a relaxed pace. No reason to be overwhelmed.

Rye, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Dover, Rye
Level Contributor
6,980 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

Inishowen is part of Donegal in the Republic (feeling pedantic today). If you are more interested in the North, visit the North.

I love Donegal. I will be exploring more of Inishowen come September.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
16,242 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

good advice given already....all I'll add is if you have 4 people and needing 2 rooms each night, do get busy making room reservations sooner rather than later......

Montgomery
Level Contributor
96 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Overwhelmed!!

Tarry11 - Thanks for the geography lesson - now I know :). Fuschia2014 - not trying to be weird, haha. We have some larger hotels/suite type accommodations that sleep 4 easily and many airbnb rentals that have multiple bedrooms. Thanks everyone for the input - I appreciate you all.

Reply to: Help Overwhelmed!!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted