We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Three of us will travel (hubby 75, adult son 53, self 72) and do not necessarily need to see the usual "touristy" places. We will start in Dublin and stay 2 nights. My DH really wants to see the Titanic Exhibit and Giants Causeway in Belfast. Someone said it would be a good idea to take a tour from Dublin. I don't know what areas we would travel through but I am sure the scenery will be gorgeous. Son thinks it might be nice to stay in Galway for 2 nights. Would Doolin be a better choice? Adare looks beautiful, maybe a nice stop for a pint. It was recommended to see Hore Abbey rather than Rock of Cashel. Ring of Kerry is a definite and is Dingle Peninsula. He also suggested Nw Cork.

Are we doing too much? It will probably be my DH final trip to Ireland. We are still active so we change manage a fair amount of activity. We still are missing two days or so. Any suggestions? Any wonderful places to visit that we are not aware of? We would appreciate any suggestions, information,etc. on places to visit and places to stay. Prefer B&B's to hotels and apartments or houses would be fine. Thank you so much for any assistance you can provide.

Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,083 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Hore Abbey
Hore Abbey
449 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,368 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Ring of Kerry
Ring of Kerry
1,772 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Province of Munster, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
19 replies to this topic
Kildare
Level Contributor
456 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

What time of year will you be travelling?

Will you hire a car?

How long will you visit for?

If Belfast is non-negotiable, hop on the Aircoach 705 service to Belfast, stay a couple of nights and arrange day tours to the Giant's Causeway from there. It makes more sense than doing it from Dublin, especially as seeing the Titanic exhibition can take a few hours.

You could travel back down to Dublin, by coach or train, and take a train over to Galway. By all means, hire a car and tour the area for a couple of days.

I don't know how long you'll have in Ireland, but if it's a week I would think about heading back towards Dublin at this point.

It doesn't make sense to include Cork and Kerry into a short trip if you're also heading to Belfast (but if you let us know your dates, we can advise you properly without guessing).

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Aircoach
Aircoach
322 Reviews
Dublin, Ireland
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,083 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
County Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
74 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

I would definitely look into a tour to the Giant's Causeway & Titanic museum, it would be a long day in the bus, but at least you won't be driving.

Galway or Doolin - There are pros and cons for both, Galway can't be beaten for traditional music and pub life, and can be easily accessed using public transport, while Doolin is quieter, but would require a rental car to travel around.

There's no need to choose between Hore Abbey and the Rock of Cashel, it's literally in the next field. Keep in mind that Hore Abbey is only a ruin, while with the Rock of Cashel you pay an entrance fee, and there is an exhibit, audio-visual presentation, etc. If you're not too worried about how long you spend in Cashel, it's a good choice to do on the way back to Dublin (it's just off the Cork-Dublin motorway), so long as you're not rushing to catch a flight.

If you stay in Co. Kerry for 2 nights, you can easily do both the Dingle Peninsula and the Ring of Kerry, but if you're staying for one night you'll probably have to choose.

I'm wondering did they mean southwest Cork? There is practically nothing in northwest Cork (unless you have a tie to a particular town), while the southwest is famed for scenery and food. However, the roads are far from direct, so expect to spend at least a day touring it.

I wouldn't say you're trying to pack in too much, but it is a lot. It really depends on the pace you want to take it at. For example, some people pull up to the Rock of Cashel, take a few photos from the graveyard, and drive on; others spend the entire day in Cashel. You'll find something to do anywhere you go, even if it's just sitting down for a drink or having a stroll through a town, so it depends on what your style of travel is.

Mentioned in this post
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
Doolin
Doolin
The Burren, Ireland
Hore Abbey
Hore Abbey
449 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Rock of Cashel
Rock of Cashel
3,368 Reviews
Cashel, Ireland
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Kerry
County Kerry
Dingle Peninsula
Dingle Peninsula
707 Reviews
County Kerry, Ireland
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Cashel
Cashel
County Tipperary, Ireland
County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Not sure that taking a tour from Dublin to Belfast & the Giants Causeway would be a good use of your time in Dublin if you only have 2 nights there. I don't know how many nights your trip will be for but you could consider staying in Belfast, moving on to the Giant's Causeway & making your way down the west coast through Counties Donegal, a tiny bit of Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo & on to Galway & onwards to your other planned locations from there

Edited: 18 February 2018, 21:33
Mentioned in this post
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,083 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Leitrim
Leitrim
Carrick-on-Shannon, Ireland
Sligo
Sligo
County Sligo, Ireland
County Mayo
County Mayo
Province of Connacht, Ireland
Galway
Galway
County Galway, Ireland
County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

aaargh, I should have paid more attention to the title of the thread 8 days. That's a lot of travelling in one week if you manage to see all of the locations in your post

Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Foxwynne, Thank you for all your suggestions. I will discuss them with my son. I appreciate your feed back. I am not sure why he suggested NW Cork when you say the beauty is in SW. I don't know if this response goes strictly to you or to all the other wonderful travelers who have been so helpful in the past. Can't wait to go back. In the past, it was always on a tour bus and you really don't see the true beauty of the country. Thank you so very much for your kindness and if you have any other suggestions, I sure would appreciate them.

Mentioned in this post
Cork
Cork
County Cork, Ireland
Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Von 10, Thank you so much for your response. We will be arriving in Ireland the morning of the 25th of May and departing on June 3rd. As I mentioned earlier there will be three of us. My husband (75) wants only to see the Titanic Museum and the Giants Causeway. He is nervous about staying in Belfast I would feel safe) but he has early dementia and I don't want to upset him. Your suggestion is more logical but staying is out of the question. I really do want this visit to be enjoyable and behold the beauty of the country. We will be hiring a car when we are leaving Dublin. Thank you again for your reply. I would appreciate anything more you might share.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,083 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Barnegat, New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Gaildorfblues (hope I got the spelling right), thanks for responding so quickly. Yes, sadly it is only 8 days. If we were younger, and my husband wasn't ill, we could stay for weeks. Luckily our son offered to take his vacation time to get DH his wish. DH only has three requests; Titanic, giants Causeway and a night or two in a genuine Irish Pub (where the locals go) to enjoy a Guinness and traditional Irish music. We love the music! We hope to tour the countryside and enjoy the beauty of Ireland. As I stated in an earlier reply, he has a "hang up" about staying in Belfast. Since he suffers from dementia I "don't want to rock the boat" and have him upset. I would appreciate any other ideas you might have. Thanks again for the kindness of such a speedy response.

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
County Donegal...
Level Contributor
3,111 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Hi Kathy

Is the problem just in staying in Belfast or would it be a problem for staying anywhere in Northern Ireland? Also, your flight on 3rd of June, what time is that at?

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Kildare
Level Contributor
456 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

Hi Kathy, of course your husbands peace of mind (and yours) is paramount, so lets work around that. Staying in Belfast isn't necessary at all in the circumstances.

If it's Belfast, and not Northern Ireland in general, that causes your husband unease, might a town like Bangor work? It's a seaside town about 20km out of Belfast (about an hour on the train). Strangford, Newcastle or Portrush (Portrush would be closest to the Giant's Causeway) might also make good overnight spots.

Of course, it is possible to tour Belfast and the Giant's Causeway without staying in NI, but it might be a long day. Tours leave Dublin early in the day, but might limit your time at both spots.

If you are willing to drive that would give you most flexibility, and greater time in both spots without being tied to a tour itinerary.

Apologies for not reading your topic heading properly - I'm only seeing the 8 days now!

Mentioned in this post
Belfast
Belfast
Northern Ireland, UK
Northern Ireland
Northern Ireland
United Kingdom
Bangor
Bangor
Gwynedd, UK
Newcastle
Newcastle
County Down, UK
Portrush
Portrush
County Antrim, UK
Giant's Causeway
Giant's Causeway
9,083 Reviews
Bushmills, UK
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
30,690 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland

To fully appreciate the Titanic Experience you need a minimum of four hours.

Mentioned in this post
Titanic Experience Cobh
Titanic Experience Cobh
1,577 Reviews
Cobh, Ireland
Reply to: Places we would like to visit during our 8 days in Ireland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted