We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

NJ
Level Contributor
335 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

We'll be arriving on a Sunday, staying at the Granville in Waterford. Our 3 evening meals are included with our room. We'd like to try some other local restaurants while we visit.

I had planned on having lunch at Bodega! our first day, but when I checked the website, I realized they are closed on Sundays. Hoping for a few recommendations for a casual lunch on Sunday. Would like to keep it around €10-15 per person. We like just about every kind of food.

Also, (and I could be mixing myself up). Is there a cafe or Chocolate shop in Waterford that also sells Chocolate by the piece that has seating where you can enjoy a cuppa and a chocolate or two? In planning, I made a note there were a couple, but now I can't find them...

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
County Waterford, Ireland
11 replies to this topic
Ireland
Level Contributor
12,652 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Does your €15 just include main course?

Chocolate wise, I wonder if you were thinking of Gallweys?

The Book Centre in Waterford combine Belgian chocolate (Leonidas), books and coffee, my idea of heaven!

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,389 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Try to get to Dunmore East and Hook Head Lighthouse when you are in Waterford. Both are really worth seeing.

www.discoverdunmore.com

www.hookheritage.ie

Mentioned in this post
Dunmore East
Dunmore East
Howth Head
Howth Head
1,423 Reviews
Howth, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
NJ
Level Contributor
335 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Thank you both. The €15 pp would hopefully be for lunch total. For us, lunch is usually just a sandwich, or we each get a soup and split a sandwich, or, we split a fish & chips for example.

We also have a cup of tea or a soft drink with lunch.

We do need something mid day, but we've learned breakfasts in Ireland are hearty, and dinners have always been more than enough food. I should have been more detailed in my original question.

Gallwey's must be what I was thinking of. I had in my mind there was a shop like the Butler's in Dublin, but not a Butler's.

I'm pretty sure we stopped in the Book Center in Kilkenny- if I'm remembering correctly it had a wonderful selection of books specific to each County of Ireland. Didn't notice the chocolate or coffee. Probably for the best- we still may be there otherwise.

Bean- Hook Lighthouse is on our (way too long) list of to dos while we are in Wexford, so maybe we'll move things around a bit and visit from Waterford. Thanks for the suggestions!

Mentioned in this post
Ireland
Ireland
Europe
Dublin
Dublin
County Dublin, Ireland
Kilkenny
Kilkenny
County Kilkenny, Ireland
Hook Lighthouse
Hook Lighthouse
1,205 Reviews
Fethard On Sea, Ireland
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,389 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Hook is incredible. If you can, head out to Passage East and take the ferry from there over to Wexford. Its an experience. https://www.passageferry.ie/ (Take a look at the video on that link - some wonderful footage)

Edited: 12 February 2018, 22:54
Mentioned in this post
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
2,694 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Geoffs on John street is a lovely old fashion Irish pub that serves a nice lunch for about €12. It's my favourite pub in Waterford.

Mentioned in this post
Waterford
Waterford
NJ
Level Contributor
335 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Thanks, Generator. Geoff's looks like a really cool place. Took a quick look at some photos, wow, definitely on the list of places to go!

Bean... you've got the gears in my head spinning... Am hoping for a little more advice about the ferry... I actually have been keen to take a ferry this trip, but, it just hasn't gelled. We are staying at Killiane B&B in Wexford. I had looked into taking the ferry from Wexford to Waterford on our way to Granville. It would add a decent amount of time to our travels. But, if we worked a visit to Hook in addition to the ferry, it might make sense. My worry would be leaving the car unattended. We'll have to have one suitcase in the backseat of the car. I'd imagine we'd have to leave the car out in the open, and I'd be worried that would be inviting trouble. Do you happen to know if the ferry station itself (or anyplace nearby). has any kind of secure area/ locker rental where we could check our bags while we did some exploring?

Thank you and thank you again!

Mentioned in this post
Wexford
Wexford
County Wexford, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Granville
Granville
Manche, France
Limerick, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Limerick
Level Contributor
28,389 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

The Passage Ferry is a flat bed drive on drive off ferry that fits approximately 30 cars and takes about 7 minutes to cross the estuary. You don't have to leave your car at any time. But even if you did leave your car (and you can for a quick walk) you will never be more than about 30 feet from it.

It is a lovely interlude.

Ennis, Ireland
Level Contributor
4,411 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

The Reg also does decent bar food and is quite reasonable for lunch.

It is a short stroll from your hotel.

http://www.thereg.ie

Mentioned in this post
The Reg
The Reg
740 Reviews
Waterford, Ireland
NJ
Level Contributor
335 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

Thank you, Banner girl. The reg looks good!

Bean- I was thinking of visiting Hook Lighthouse and then taking the ferry into Waterford after our visit. Still debating how to best utilize our time...

Thanks again!

Mentioned in this post
Hook Lighthouse
Hook Lighthouse
1,205 Reviews
Fethard On Sea, Ireland
Waterford
Waterford
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
325 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question

An alternative to the ferry is to go up via New Ross and it's area. A lot of History particularly about JFK and the Dunbrody Ship

Mentioned in this post
New Ross
New Ross
County Wexford, Ireland
Reply to: Sunday Lunch Waterford and a Chocolate Question
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted