We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Killarney and ???

Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Killarney and ???

We are planning a 2 week trip and want to rent a house in 2 towns/villages for a week each. One will be Killarney, what should the other be?

15 replies to this topic
County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Killarney and ???

A week is a nice amount of time to see a lot of the area so I'd explore another part of the country, maybe Westport in County Mayo or somewhere in west Cork which is a stunning part of the country. Towns in west Cork like Skibereen, Schull or Clonakilty are excellent bases to explore the west Cork region.

Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Killarney and ???

Yes, I had thought of the area around Westport. Are you familiar with any towns in particular?

Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Dingle
Level Contributor
12,125 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Killarney and ???

What time of the year?What are your interests and will you have a car?Where will you be arriving and departing from?

County Cork, Ireland
Destination Expert
for County Cork
Level Contributor
1,909 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Killarney and ???

Not far outside Westport is the small lovely village of Louisburg. It's by the sea and you can do day trips to Clare island from there. Also there's lovely Irish style cottages there which I have stayed in twice and couldn't recommend them highly enough.

http://www.louisburghholidays.com/

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,587 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Killarney and ???

Louisburgh is a great recommendation by generator 5000. The drive from Louisburgh to Leenane through the Doolough Valley has a stark beauty. Be sure to read up on the history of the Famine Walk if you do decide to go. Also, Leenane is located on Killary Bay, Ireland's fjord.

Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Killarney and ???

We will have a car, will visit in September and like castles, ruins, music and Guinness!

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,965 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Killarney and ???

Galway would be my other base.

At my desk
Level Contributor
325 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Killarney and ???

If you're up for a lot of driving and are interested in something a bit more confronting I'd recommend Antrim. Which I should stress is not in the Republic of Ireland, it's in Northern Ireland and is part of the UK. So you'd have to deal with a new currency etc. Antrim is a really interesting county. It's absolutely beautiful and has a fascinating history, which is still happening today. If you're interested in politics you may really want to consider it.

England, United...
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Killarney and ???

Another like for the Westport/Louisburgh area - so much history and gorgeous scenery in this part of Ireland, and you will still find empty roads and miles of deserted beaches.

Level Contributor
31 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Killarney and ???

Thank you! Will check out Antrim.

Reply to: Killarney and ???
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted