We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

4 posts
Save Topic
Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Hii - I am looking for a general opinion on the tentative itinerary below. All comments and help welcome ! Thank you so much in advance !

My questions for the below are regarding mostly the first 2 days. Do we want to spend 2 days and 2 nights in Dublin? Or should we add a day to Cork or Dingle instead?

-Day 1 - arrive in DUBLIN early am .. 2 days / 2 nights in Dublin

- Day 3- drive to CORK stopping in Kilkenny - overnight in CORK

- Day 4 - drive to Killarney - overnight in Killarney

- Day 5 - drive to Dingle - overnight in Dingle

- Day 6 - wake up in Dingle.. drive back to Shannon later in the day for flight.

11 replies to this topic
Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Nicole, what you would like to see and do in Dublin? Would one day do? If so you should consider adding on the one night NOT spent in Dublin to Killarney and seeing some of the glorious scenery around there.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

I’d do 2 nights in Killarney and just visit Dingle during one of the days.

If budget allows I’d stay in The Europe.

Co. Kildare
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
8,854 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

The advantage of staying overnight in Dingle is that you don't have to drive there from Killarney and then back again along the same road (a longer drive than you might think!). So you gain more time on the Dingle peninsula which is definitely worth it. And you can drive over the Conor Pass in the morning and make your way to Shannon along the northside of the peninsula, possibly via the Shannon ferry if time allows.

What time is your flight at, Nicole? Your travel plans on your last day might depend on this.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

agree with Clauds, and your last night will depend on the time your flight departs......

California
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Unless your from the UK, I would do your trip the other direction around. "Learning" to drive on the left side of the road is MUCH easier from Shannon then from Dublin. In Dublin your automatically thrown into city or freeway traffic, unlike the rural Shannon area where everything is a much slower pace.

At the end of your trip when you arrive in Dublin simply drop your car off at the airport and take a taxi into town. Everything in Dublin is walkable for the most part.

4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Thank you all for your quick responses ! I really appreciate your feedback!

As for Dublin, we want to do some sightseeing and walk around, stop in the pubs, etc.. but we are not huge museaum goers. I do like to explore different areas of cities we visit but in no means need to see everything all at once and stress ourselves to hit all of the spots.

Our flight leaves at 3:45 out of Shannon, and as of right now we do have a B&B booked in Dingle the day/night before we leave.

With that being said, let me know what you think is best!

Again thank you all so much for the help!

4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Thank you for that advice. Unfortunately, we already booked our non-refundable flights and have to start in Dublin and end in Shannon. Too bad they don't let you switch the flights, because I am nervous about starting off on the wrong side of the road in such a congested area. We are not renting the car until the day that we leave Dublin, so we don't need to worry about having the car in the city during our stay, but will have to pick up our car in downtown Dublin and drive through that area the day we depart.

Whitney, Texas
Destination Expert
for Ireland
Level Contributor
14,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

my advice would be to NOT drive for the first time in Dublin City Centre....maybe see if you can pick up the car at the airport rental lot?.....

California
Level Contributor
6,540 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

Agree, just eat the cost of a taxi ride to the airport rental office, It'll be money well spent. Try starting out after the morning commute traffic and you should be fine. The M50 Motorway (Freeway) is very near the rental offices at the airport so it's pretty straight forward driving.

Also, make sure you can drive a manual transmission unless you upgraded to an automatic.

4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )

#6 of 9 ·

Thank you all for your quick responses ! I really appreciate your feedback!

As for Dublin, we want to do some sightseeing and walk around, stop in the pubs, etc.. but we are not huge museaum goers. I do like to explore different areas of cities we visit but in no means need to see everything all at once and stress ourselves to hit all of the spots.

Our flight leaves at 3:45 out of Shannon, and as of right now we do have a B&B booked in Dingle the day/night before we leave.

With that being said, let me know what you think is best!

Again thank you all so much for the help!

Reply to: Flying into Dublin - Out of Shannon 5.5 days ( 5 nights )
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted