We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice for a "Foodie"

the OC, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Advice for a "Foodie"

My husband and I are visiting Ireland in early October from California. We will be driving everywhere except the north (nothing upwards of Cong). My husband really enjoys all aspects of food. He was a chef for 10 years and has a great sense of adventure. I am hoping for some suggestions for unique experiences. In our travels we have mined our own salt, sat down to a meal of 30 types of oysters, been prepared an authentic roast in a 300-year-old mill, caught and cooked our own, been taught local techniques, etc. We are looking for this kind of thing, but Irish. And if you know of any good historical walking tours, I am all ears. Thanks in advance.

14 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
27,995 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

I enjoy the grub in this old church.

www.chezhans.net/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dublin
Level Contributor
3,995 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

The Galway International Oyster festival; although dates not announced for next year yet. http://galwayoysterfestival.com/

You could try the "best steak in Ireland" according to Anthony Bourdain at the Chophouse in Dublin. They also hold an event called the "Beef Club" once a quarter:

http://thechophouse.ie/

https://www.facebook.com/TheChophouseD4/ for details of their Beef Club next month

Make your own whiskey in Killarney with

https://www.irishwhiskeyexperience.net/

Catch your food on a fishing trip in Kerry:

www.atlanticirishseaweed.com/boat-trips/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
20,135 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

when a person labels themselves as a "foodie" , i always take that with a huge grain of salt. everybody has different likes and dislikes, but food is just that...food. when in a foreign (to you) country, just eat what everyone else does. you may not like it in one place or another, but it is what is available.

i would love to know what an "authentic" roast is. as for oysters, you can take them or leave them....i would always leave them !

Ventry, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Dingle Peninsula
Level Contributor
7,584 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

I understand the "foodie" tag, as I am one myself - one who is interested in different cuisines and tastes, provenance and methods of production and preparation. It is your passion, in the way that some people who are passionate about sport, hill walking, cinema, dogs.... any number of things.

You will have just missed the Dingle Food Festival which finishes on 1st October, which is a great pity, but Dingle is foodie heaven at most times of the year.

One place that you should not miss if in Cork city is the English Market, a really remarkable food market with superb local products

Edited: 21 September 2017, 12:12
Western Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Southport, Connemara, County Clare, Portumna
Level Contributor
19,602 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

If its this October then the Clarinbridge Oyster festival has been moved back to the beginning of October 2017

My advice to any "Foodie" eat what and where the locals eat and don't pay extortionate money to pander to a chefs ego. Of course that advice generally falls on deaf ears.

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Sligo, Dublin
Level Contributor
8,580 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

Hi notsosilent

If you can make it past Cong you should enjoy The Sligo Food Trail which is exactly what you're looking for!

Have a look here -

https://sligofoodtrail.ie

As a foodie you will be absolutely blown away with the quality of our everyday foods - the milk, butter, cream, cheese are outstanding. Everywhere you go you will find people using fresh seasonal vegetables where possible.

In Dublin try to book a table at Chapter One as a special treat.

Huntsville, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

InstaDub, I had no idea about the Irish Whiskey Experience, that is now on our list for Killarney - Thank you!

the OC, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

Thank you. That looks interesting.

the OC, California
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

Technical difficulties - Thank you for the feedback. There are some great ideas here. I plan to eat Irish cheese until I explode. Nakagoli - I don't know how to upload a pic here, but if you google images of "peka" you will see what I mean by an authentic roast.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
218 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice for a "Foodie"

I don't know about others, but Dingle Bay crab claws are heaven.

Reply to: Advice for a "Foodie"
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted