We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?

Santa Monica
3 posts
Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

My husband and I are visiting Scotland in early April 2008. We will have a rental car. Our tentative itinerary is as follows: Edinburgh (3 nights at Ten Hill Place Hotel); Glasgow (2 nights at Malmaison--we're going for wedding there); 1 night near Ft. William (Inn at Ardgour); 3 nights on Skye (Kinloch Lodge); 2 nights in Stirling (Osta); and then depart from Edinburgh airport early the next day.

I have 2 questions in particular:

1. From Ft. William / the Inn at Ardgour, should we drive to the Kyle of Lochalsh and go over the Skye Bridge, or should we drive to Mallaig and take the ferry?

2. Our flight leaves from Edinburgh at 9:05 a.m. on Sunday, April 13. It is a mistake to stay in Stirling the night before? I am anticipating leaving our hotel there around 5:00 a.m., which would give us an hour and a half to get to Edinburgh and drop off the rental car and get to the airport in plenty of time for our international departure. Should I scrap this plan and stay in Edinburgh the night before we leave?

Finally, any thoughts/ suggestions about the rest of our itinerary?

thanks!

Glendale, Isle of...
Level Contributor
51 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

Question 1:

I personally would go to the bridge. The drive from Ft. Wlm through Invergarry, Cluanie, Glen Shiel, etc. is amongst the best in the British Isles. The views are truly exceptional. Plus, you will pass the castle at Eileann Donan, which is stunning and well worth a look around inside. You could take the ferry on the way back.

Question 2:

Don't see a problem. It's motorway all the way and they aren't excessively busy in the central belt. To be sure, you could leave a bit earlier.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for The Hebrides
Level Contributor
9,725 posts
68 reviews
55 helpful votes
2. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

Agree with the above - both routes to Skye are worth doing, so why not go one way and return the other.

The road from Stirling to EDI will be virtually empty early on a Sunday morning - no problem.

Perth, United...
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
108 reviews
86 helpful votes
3. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

The last time I was in Skye that is what I did - Ferry one way and bridge the other it is easy to do.

You will get to the airport very easily from the Stirling side at that time on a Sunday morning...good roads all the way.

Santa Monica
3 posts
4. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

Thanks so much for the responses. Much appreciated.

Boston
Level Contributor
925 posts
5. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

Wow, you people are brave. I like to return the rental the night before and stay near/at the airport the night before returning home on an international flight that departs in the morning.

Stromness, Orkney...
Level Contributor
72 posts
6. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

The most memorable and romantic way on / off Skye is using the tiny Glenelg - Kylerhea ferry.

Do please check it out:

http://www.skyeferry.co.uk/

It may be operating ealy enough in April for you.

It is the only one of its kind in the world

JC
Halifax
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
7 helpful votes
7. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

We took the glenelg ferry in July. An amazing tour over hill and dale with a ride on a very small turntable ferry. Very nice.

Yorkshire
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

The Glenelg ferry never used to run on Sunday's due to the ferryman's religious sensibliities, although he did run one Sunday before the bridge was built and the Caledonia McBrayne boat from Kyle was on strike (I am sure this was out of kindness not his eye for earnings! At 6am we were no 76 in a queue for a boat taking 4 cars at a time!)

Things may have changed now, but it would be worth checking with Kinloch if you are travelling on a Sunday.

Richard

Stromness, Orkney...
Level Contributor
72 posts
9. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

Glenelg ferry has changed ownership - almost went bust (could I say belly up? groan) - is now run by the local community - so is worth supporting and I'd expect them to be very helpful.

If you go that way, take the time to look at the Brochs nearby.

hanginroundSkye
2 posts
10. Re: Skye Itinerary--best way on and off island?
Save

After wedding and all the touring I would head for Mallaig and take the ferry,( only 42 miles compared to 94 via Skye Bridge to Kinloch). 20 minutes driving after landing on Skye you will be in Kinloch with your feet up taking in the fresh air and stunning scenery or taking a wee stroll round the many walks in and around the grounds. Plenty of time over the next couple of days for touring and you will pass Eilean Donan on your way to Stirling. Route to Stirling via Spean bridge, Dalwhinnie and A9 will mean you don't go the same way as you came up.

From Kinloch places to visit are Armadale castle and gardens south end 10 miles or so from Kinloch.

Day trip Leave Kinloch and head for Broadford

take left up towards Portree through the Cuillin hills and route to North East round Trotternish peninsula for spectacular scenery Syop at Museum of Island life Peingown en route for cultural trip into island history .

Descend to Uig and head for Portree then take turn off for Dunvegan. Lunch at Skeabost House Hotel Conservatory is really relaxing and worth a try. Dunvegan Castle is worth a visit En route check out Edinbane Pottery,Shilasdair yarns and Skye Skins.

From Dunvegan head over to Neist point and take a wee walk to the Lighthouse.On a clear day you have the Hebridean Island vista in front of you.

Back to Kinloch via Sligachan about one and a half hours.

If you have any energy left take a trip to Elgol on your third day maybe catch a boat trip on Bella Jane or Misty Isle.

or go over the Skye Bridge and head for Plockton and take a trip on Calumn's Seal Boat. Seal sightings guaranteed or your money back (check the rubber ones arent out). Worth the money just for his stories.

Have a lovely time regardless

Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.