We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Camping at night in Uig

Diss, United Kingdom
2 posts
Camping at night in Uig
Save

I arrive alone late June 2021 by ferry in Uig at 22:30 (almost no choice but to do this) and was looking for somewhere to camp or stay the night (budget about £30 per night). I'd imagine no campsite wants visitors at this time. I think sunset is around the same time. Looking at other threads the outskirts of Uig doesn't seem that appropriate to Wild Camp. However I was wondering if a) anyone has suggestions or if b) I get up before 7am and leave whether it wouldn't be an issue c) sleep in car on side of road. Given ferry times I doubt I'm the first person to have this problem?

Any thoughts?

6 replies to this topic
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

You will not be wild camping if you have a car. The legislation specifically excludes motor vehicles.

Otherwise, there are a few large car parks on the main road south of Uig, starting with the viewpoint and continuing for a few miles after, (put there for commercial drivers) where it would be reasonable for you to grab a few hours sleep before continuing safely on your way.

Edited: 06 June 2021, 11:57
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

If you do use them, remember they were put there mainly for truck drivers to take their statutory rest breaks before heading to the ferry - or as overspill when sailings were cancelled/delays, so they will all be on the other side of the road if you are heading south. Do park so a truck can get in and out if needed.

I also think the camp site at Uig, a matter of a few hundred yards from the ferry pier is well used to people coming and going with the boats - I don’t remember any great issues with arrival/departure times any time I’ve camped there, so long as you do your best to minimise disturbance to others.

Edited: 06 June 2021, 12:22
Diss, United Kingdom
2 posts
3. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

Thank you, this is very helpful

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

At Uig, they have a large hardstanding just as you enter the site - times I’ve rolled-in there off the last boat, I’ve left my vehicle there till morning and just taken my tent and basics to get my head down to the pitch, before bringing it up the next morning- but I tend to camp pretty light. In fact, I have got in there, pitched and made last orders in the nearby pub before!

Same with first boats in the morning - people pack-up their vehicles the night before, leaving near the gate and with just the bare minimum to decamp first thing - it seems to work out quite well.

Edited: 06 June 2021, 13:28
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

IME the boat doesn’t hang about on the last crossing and if conditions are good, you will probably be-in about half an hour before the scheduled arrival time.

Sale, United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Crete
Level Contributor
14,367 posts
79 reviews
99 helpful votes
6. Re: Camping at night in Uig
Save

Some great advice there that you would never find in a guidebook !

Reply to: Camping at night in Uig
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.