We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

COVID19 - Flying from London

London, United...
1 post
COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Hi All,

Quick question - im flying from London to Inverness on 13th June 21 to propose to my GF in Isle of Skye.

Do i need to take a Covid test before hand in order to be accepted at inverness airport?

If so, that going to put a spanner in the works as im trying to surprise her!

Thanks in advance!

11 replies to this topic
Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
1,487 posts
1. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Tests are not required for internal UK flights

Falkirk District...
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
567 reviews
259 helpful votes
2. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

The Scottish Government are requesting that travelers from mainland take a lateral flow test before going to the islands. This is to protect the limited medical facilities on the islands with the added pressure of visitors. In Scotland we can request these free so I assume the same applies in England.

Keep an eye on Scottish Covid rates by local authority via Scottish Government website.Rates are creeping up in Scotland. If the Scottish Government for any reason moves Highland to level 3 and Skye is in level 2 you will not be able to travel from Inverness to Skye.

Hopefully this will not be the case and your travels and proposal go to plan.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
7,681 posts
119 reviews
118 helpful votes
3. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

In many other threads referring to travel to Skye, Skye is said to be classed as the mainland and therefore the Scottish Government request for people to be tested prior to travel does not apply.

Cumbernauld
Destination Expert
for Glasgow
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
18 reviews
4 helpful votes
4. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Isn't Skye treated as being in Highland so same as Inverness?

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
5. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

The outer Hebrides are a separate council are https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comhairle_nan_Eilean_Siar

Orkney and Shetland, likewise a separate island authority.

Islands in the Inner Hebrides are managed via whichever mainland council is adjacent.

e.g Skye is part of Highland region. Mull is part of Argyll and Bute.

This might seem a pedantic explanation but it matters if regions change covid level. It's possible that some regions might go back to 3, if the latest wave of covid proliferates. Let's all hope not, though ...

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
6. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Since this began, because of the bridge, Skye has always been treated as part of the mainland - and yes, Highland Council is the one to watch.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5,298 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

I remember Robbie the Pict campaigning to have the tolls on the Skye Bridge removed. Ultimately he (and others) were successful in 2004, and the nature and culture of Skye have changed drastically since.

I used to bump into him occasionally in and around Edinburgh back in the seventies and eighties. I imagine him, 50 years wiser, campaigning to have the bridge blocked off ;-)

He's famous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robbie_the_Pict

England, United...
Destination Expert
for Somerset, Solo Travel, Exmoor National Park
Level Contributor
48,971 posts
67 reviews
119 helpful votes
8. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Lol Rudyard, looks like we need a few more like him at the moment :-)

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,518 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

I saw him in Kyleakin the last time I stopped there - he was still campaigning to have the convictions for non-payment of the tolls overturned.

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
16,798 posts
66 reviews
27 helpful votes
10. Re: COVID19 - Flying from London
Save

Just get some free lateral flow tests and do one before you travel for your own peace of mind and social responsibility!

Reply to: COVID19 - Flying from London
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.