We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midges

1 post
Midges
Save

Hello , I hope this isn't a stupid question, I have been reading about how bad the midges can be ,I get bitten most places I go but are they any worse on Skye than the mainland . I so want to visit but worried it may ruin my holiday .Thanks in advance

14 replies to this topic
County Dublin...
Level Contributor
41,831 posts
1. Re: Midges
Save

You and me together Jane.

But I bought a most effective repellent from Boots in Portree.

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Midges
Save

It depends a lot on just where you go on the island but they are pretty much the same.

When are you planning on going?

Edited: 28 May 2021, 11:39
Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Midges
Save

Boots are my go-to for repellent as well, esp when they are on bogof - you don't need to buy the fancy/expensive branded products and some are actually more problematic than the own brand.

The P-Cardin based product you can get elsewhere is also very interesting/useful, although it isn't a repellent in the conventional sense - more like it makes you invisible to them.

Edited: 28 May 2021, 11:44
scotland
Level Contributor
49 posts
4. Re: Midges
Save

We are going to Tarskavaig in 2 weeks time .

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Midges
Save

You may be lucky - The long cold spring has impacted on midge numbers this year. If it keeps-up a bit longer, the worst won't have hit yet. They need standing water temperatures to get pretty warm before they start hatching, so so far hatches have only been highly localised on the warmest/sunniest days.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,729 posts
177 reviews
149 helpful votes
6. Re: Midges
Save

https://www.smidgeup.com/midge-forecast

This will give you an idea of what you are likely to face. I was in a wood in Fife last night and I can tell you, they are starting to bite! Keep away from ferns.😉

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
5,307 posts
26 reviews
15 helpful votes
7. Re: Midges
Save

Midges like boggy ground preferably with shrub cover or long grass, or woodland, birch in particular. They dislike strong sunlight and anything stronger than a breeze. Tarskavaig is crofted farmland, lots of rough grassy fields, and exposed to the SW and therefore onshore breezes may (optimistically) keep you safe. You never know, the sun might shine :-)

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
119 reviews
118 helpful votes
8. Re: Midges
Save

We use Avon Skin so Soft and it has always been effective for us. A few years ago we wanted to walk around a loch side and saw clouds of midges. We sprayed ourselves liberally with this stuff and the effect was amazing. The clouds of midges literally parted as we walked towards them and formed again once we were past.

Aberdeen, United...
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
5,539 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Midges
Save

Skin so soft is a complete myth BTW - Almost any cosmetic product with an evaporative solvent will produce a brief burst of effective repellence, which quickly vanishes and even the cash-in version (with added DEET) they produced was at best very average.

Any of the products mentioned above will be far better.

Edited: 28 May 2021, 17:06
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,729 posts
177 reviews
149 helpful votes
10. Re: Midges
Save

You can say what you like @MDHbrians, if it's worked for someone you can't argue, sorry, you probably can!

Reply to: Midges
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.