We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Permanent move to Skye?

Aberdeen, United...
5 posts
Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Hi all, I apologise if this is not the right place to post, as this forum is for people visiting skye...but I thought someone here might be able to give me some advice? I am interested in moving to the isle of skye permanently but after looking online I can only see flats for short term holiday rents.... am I to understand there is literally no where someone could stay on a long term basis? Aside from the the lack of jobs advertised too... also not really making it easy for me to move there lol...oh dear. I am working as a carer currently and have seen one job advertised at the moment, but it doesn't offer live in accommodation, and as I can't see anywhere advertising flats or rooms to rent on a long term basis, I feel I cannot even apply for this job. Yes, I am aware that housing is scarce in skye and also jobs are snapped up by locals, and this is going to be very difficult for me to achieve...but I am still holding onto a scrap of hope! :) Anyone got any advice or suggestions? Thanks in advance to anyone that replies.

22 replies to this topic
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,333 posts
30 reviews
26 helpful votes
1. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Until now, estate agents have essentially been closed, nobody moving house, and therefore no properties advertised. So keep looking when they re-open for business.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
7,687 posts
119 reviews
118 helpful votes
2. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Could you contact the potential employer and ask them the situation regarding long term accommodation in the area?

Inverness, United...
Level Contributor
1,007 posts
1 review
3. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

The owner of the care home in Portree which has recently beeen badly affected by the virus outbreak cited shortage of reasonably priced rental accomodation as a major factor hindering recruitment of staff, care homes and hotels are much keener to rent rooms to paying customers than provide for staff, air b&b and the like make sure owners get the maximum in rental income from tourists, locals ,especially low paid ones, struggle. Unfortunatelt this situation is not unique to Skye, Good advice in #1 and #2, keep trying, good luck.

Edited: 1 year ago
Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
154 reviews
192 helpful votes
4. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

There is a Face Book Group called “Official Isle of Skye” , with over 5,000 members. If you go there and ask, you may get more information. Good luck ☘️

Aberdeen, United...
5 posts
5. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Thank you everyone for your replies and suggestions :) I will check out that Facebook page and also will contact the care home and ask if they have any suggestions for accommodation if I were to work for them. Yes it does seem difficult to move there, especially at the moment. Perhaps once lockdown is over properly there will be more jobs around too. I am open to some other kinds of work too, aside from care work. Maybe I should wait a month or two and see how things are then, rather than rushing in now. Thanks everyone who replied :)

QQ2
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
13,328 posts
14 reviews
34 helpful votes
6. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

My late mother lived on a US island that had a similar problem. Workers had no trouble finding decent rentals during the off-season but had to move out during the summer, when they had a terrible time finding housing, often sharing with many others, moving from place to place, living in places that were probably unsafe, etc. etc.

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
9,261 posts
7 reviews
14 helpful votes
7. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Topaz - is the care home you are looking at Home Farm in Portree? If so, I suggest you read today’s news about the home being effectively taken over by the NHS following an inspection on Tuesday.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
154 reviews
192 helpful votes
8. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

This is such a sad situation.. We had this on our Scottish T.V News last night, Topaz, I am sure, has seen the news as she lives in Scotland. .

East Kilbride...
Level Contributor
349 posts
9. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Not everyone gets their news from the TV or other main stream media these days so easy to be unaware of stories happening.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
25,240 posts
154 reviews
192 helpful votes
10. Re: Permanent move to Skye?
Save

Langbus, It was on every News Station last night, even the English New, also on the Radio and many articles about it on Face Book. It would be difficult to miss. Particularly, as most people try to catch the latest news about the virus 🦠.

As Topaz is working as a Carer in Aberdeenshire at the moment. I would expect she has seen or been told of this news.

Reply to: Permanent move to Skye?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.