We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please don't come to the Isle of Skye

May
Isle of Skye...
1 post
1 review
Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

For you're own sanity, and the locals, please don't come here.

I have lived on this island for 13 years, and the past 2 years we have been absolutely mobbed by tourists all year. We used to get October-March as peace, but we have been completely overwhelmed. The roads are non-existent due to the 800 family ridden campervans that all queue up to go to the sights, holding up all locals trying to get to or back from work.

The island isn't peaceful anymore, and the locals are tired of it. Everyday we face crap hire cars that can't drive, braking on straights and swerving onto the wrong side of the road.

I live by a popular beach, and we had so many tourists park in our driveway to get to the beach because there wasn't enough space in the car park. They wouldn't ask, and they would yell at us if we asked them to move. It's gotten so bad we had to get a no parking sign.

All of the people who live here are exasperated. It's gotten so bad for me that I'm moving. There are more Bed and Breakfasts than houses up here.

So please, don't come to skye. You won't have a good experience.

167 replies to this topic
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
27,809 posts
72 reviews
124 helpful votes
1. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

Tell Rick!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,673 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
2. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

Ah I'm so sorry to hear that, but not really surprised. We were there in 2016 and it was bad then. And Skye certainly isn't the only place that is spoiled like that. I know here Instagram is to blame. People take these amazing pictures in these beautiful locations, and then everyone floods to get the same shot to put on *their* instagram so that they can attract followers too.

I also think places like the Galapagos have the right idea - a lottery system and a pass. You don't have a pass, you don't get in. The world is big, go somewhere else.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
39,673 posts
60 reviews
46 helpful votes
3. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

Really, you need to complain to your local council to manage the situation better.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,597 posts
271 reviews
142 helpful votes
4. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

What alternative employment options do you have in mind for the people who currently work in the service sector please?

UK
Destination Expert
for North Wales
Level Contributor
8,061 posts
63 reviews
126 helpful votes
5. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

And how many of those who are supplying these services are actually local people?

Very few I would say.

Back in the 60s/70s Cornwall received an influx of “ potters” and people buying up the cheap ( then ) houses

The Lake District?

Sell a modest house in the South East of England and buy a cheap terraced house in Keswick and “ retire”.

Not many Cumbrian accents to be heard amongst those working in the shops.

So it’s nothing new - incomers “ discovering “ a place and moving into an unspoilt area

And as more arrive it becomes less and less unspoilt

r c
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
16,378 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
6. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

welcome,

you are talking to deaf ears.

Many people that will post on here wont read whats been posted before them.

But you may want to get used to it since many things get "loved to death".

You can try putting something on youtube or a blog on maybe "100 reasons not to come to IOS" or something.

I know when a past governor of our state put up a sign on our souther border...

https://www.opb.org/artsandlife/article/former-governor-tom-mccall-message-visitors/

maybe you all can do something like that but with a twist?

maybe tax/toll every person/car/dog/cat that comes?

good luck

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
672 posts
3 reviews
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

Sadly the 'spoilt beauty' of unfettered tourism is global. The TA Iceland and Venice pages are examples of this frustration.

Vancouver, Canada
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
65,459 posts
11 reviews
89 helpful votes
8. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

Brews a pot of tea, opens packet of custard creams with a caramel wafer chaser, and sits back to watch. Slàinte.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
19,597 posts
271 reviews
142 helpful votes
9. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

“custard creams with a caramel wafer chaser“

Nice variation on the norm. Don’t mind if I do.

Scotland
Destination Expert
for Scotland
Level Contributor
9,485 posts
34 reviews
131 helpful votes
10. Re: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Save

We travel to Skye a couple of times a year as we love it there. We steer clear of the half dozen sites that are congested and usually manage to find places to walk where we only see the occasional human.

It’s unfortunate that certain parts of Skye are heaving, especially in the summer and it’s probably because of social media of one kind or another, including Tripadvisor.

You can’t put that genie back in the bottle though, short of reintroducing large tolls on the bridge for visitors, telling folk not to visit isn’t going to make a difference.

To the OP. I’m sorry Skye didn’t work out for you. I hope you find somewhere more suitable.

Reply to: Please don't come to the Isle of Skye
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Isle of Skye
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.