We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Geddes

glasgow,scotland
Level Contributor
55 posts
2 reviews
1 helpful vote
Geddes
Save

Hi

I'm trying to find out about Geddes, near nairn. Its my surname and I was hoping there might be a sign that I could get my picture taken next to. I've had a look on google street view but can't see anything can you help. Is it just Geddes House, or is there an actual village?

10 replies to this topic
Edinburgh...
Level Contributor
5,099 posts
77 reviews
90 helpful votes
1. Re: Geddes
Save

"Geddes Home Farm" ? No village.

You could always ask Mr Cunningham? http://www.clansandcastles.com/about.htm

Edited: 8 years ago
Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
10,199 posts
53 reviews
45 helpful votes
2. Re: Geddes
Save

I see this hotel called Geddes House, don't know if the name has any historical relevance. Don't think there's a village or anything.

Aberdeen, Scotland
Destination Expert
for Aberdeen
Level Contributor
10,199 posts
53 reviews
45 helpful votes
3. Re: Geddes
Save

Ooops - this hotel: http://www.geddesonline.co.uk/

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
175 reviews
144 helpful votes
4. Re: Geddes
Save

I used to work at Geddes House near Nairn - the home of the Mackintosh Walkers. Its now under the ownership of LHH, Large Holiday Homes, Scotland - perhaps its worth investigation?

http://www.lhhscotland.com/property?id=101L

Woody x

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
43 reviews
19 helpful votes
5. Re: Geddes
Save

Hi ,

I used to live in Geddes and it is a small hamlet of houses surrounded by fields in the Highlands of Scotland. Lovely place and the main landowner is James Mackintosh Walker of Geddes House. No signpost for a village as far as I remember as blink and you are through it!

Santa Fe, Texas
1 post
6. Re: Geddes
Save

I too share the proud name of "Geddes". My great grand father Thomas Geddes arrived in Texas along with his older brother John Geddes from Scotland in 1886. I was named for both of them, hence my initials - J.T. for John Thomas.

In my modest research and with the help of some fine Scottish natives living near Nairn, I have seen pictures of a sign near the Village of Geddes that reads "Geddes 1/2 km - Clunas- 4 1/2" km. I later found it on Facebook as well.

If you will do a search on Facebook for "Village of Geddes" you will scroll down to a picture of a gentleman named Noel Geddes. He is pictured posing with that very sign. I hope this helps you in your quest. Best regards, J.T. Geddes

Nassau Bay, Texas
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
16 helpful votes
7. Re: Geddes
Save

Off topic, but I found this thread interesting. I have an old book we found on my grandmother in law's house in the UK. Grandmother probably bought it in a used book sale? It was given to a "T. Sherdley" and From "Mrs Mackintosh Walker Geddes Scotland Xmas 1929".

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
175 reviews
144 helpful votes
8. Re: Geddes
Save

How interesting!

1 post
9. Re: Geddes
Save

geddes house is owned by captain cj Macintosh walker and is a family home,and there is a village with 6 cottages as I used to stay in 1 off them and my wife is the housekeeper

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
13,493 posts
175 reviews
144 helpful votes
10. Re: Geddes
Save

It always amazes me how people even find a two year old post to comment on! Well done @bolynn.

Reply to: Geddes
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in Ireland. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.