We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for South Ayrshire, Glasgow
Level Contributor
15,056 posts
323 reviews
Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Got to hand it to Tripadvisor, or as the Scotsman newspaper calls them the 'Tourism Bible'. They know how to make the media sit up and take notice! Congrats to Nairn for coming 2nd in the top five worldwide hotspots for 2010. I'll just have to go visit once I've figured out what Nairn has to offer.

…scotsman.com/scotland/Tourism-bible-names-N…

…bbc.co.uk/1/…8424324.stm

timesonline.co.uk/tol/…article6963532.ece

scotland
Level Contributor
4,298 posts
143 reviews
1. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

So glad to read this..very pretty little town :-)

Munich, Germany
Level Contributor
3,565 posts
18 reviews
2. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Just saw that Nairn is an emerging destination... its a dive... its a place you drive thru to get to somewhere nice... was there 2 years ago... on the way to Orkney... oh dear...

Scunthorpe, United...
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
3. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

I think the previous comment is a bit tough on Nairn which is a small old fashioned town with great character. Lets hope all this publicity doesn't spoil its charm

Kingston, Washington
Level Contributor
449 posts
19 reviews
4. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

IMHO, most things pale in comparison to Orkney so I suppose it's all in how you look at it. However, Nairn was a nice place and I would go back...because I had a 70/- (McEwan's) near there that was probably the best ale I have ever had the pleasure to drink (their 80/- was pretty darn good too).

Belfast, United...
3 posts
5. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

spent a week in Nairn, was made to feel very welcome by the locals , stunning beach,weather was'nt great but we had a few sunny days , and even when it was rainy we made the most of it, the drive up to Nairn was spectacular via fortwilliam, we seen deer ,red squirrels , otters , and dolphins at fort george, this has to be one of the most beautiful places in the UK.

Well worth a visit or if your lucky a stay :)..... thanks to Nairn and surrounding areas, Landmark adventure park is a must see if your in the area. Makes mom and dad's knees tremble an the kids love it .

Belfast, United...
3 posts
6. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

obviously you drove through an didnt stop, i found Nairn to be charming even though it was under developed, maybe every body that goes there wasnt looking for blackpool

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,467 posts
178 reviews
7. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Everyone is entitled to their opinion KepinItReal but I think yours is a bit unjustified. Nairn is a lovely place and I was very impressed at how free of dog poo their riverbank walk is from the harbour all the way upstream and back. They obviously take pride in their town. We also visit Nairn for a walk along the beautiful beach and to have a snack in Basil Cafe by the harbour...the town is certainly NOT a dive! Well done Nairn!

Woody x

Perth, United...
1 post
8. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Councillors and planners appear to be under the power of supermarkets or they,d be able to force them to clean up the front of their properties which are and have been for a long time an eyesore and embarrassment to what is otherwise a lovely little town. Some incentives to attract craftspeople and tourist orientated shops would rejuvenate what is at present a rather drab High Street .

Airdrie, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
15 reviews
9. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

Nairn is a fantastic base for a highland holiday. With so much to do and see all within a short distance, it is a great place to stay. The town itself has suffered a bit in recent years, like so many, to the draw of the large supermarkets in Forres and Inverness. Arriving from the Inverness end creates the wrong first impression of the town, with a series of disused and derelict buildings greeting your arrival, something the local council must try to address. The town itself has excellent sandy beaches, wonderful river walks and many great hotels, pubs and places to eat. I have been returning to Nairn on holiday every year for around the past 30 and still love the area just as much, I do not wish to see it overdeveloped and ruined by planners.

10. Re: Nairn; Worldwide Travel Hotspot 2010

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2011, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations