We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to see rock pools at low tide, other ?s

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,252 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Where to see rock pools at low tide, other ?s

We'll be arriving for one night on Aug. 8th as part of a CIE bus tour. We'll be staying at the Newton Hotel. I'm wondering where we'd have to walk to see rock pools at low tide (I think it was mentioned in a guidebook) and if it's worth the effort to do so? About how far of a walk would it be from our hotel to the East Beach? Does the West Beach closest to us have just as good of views, especially at sunset? What are the chances of seeing the Moray Firth dolphins or Northern Lights when we're there? Thanks for your help.

2 replies to this topic
East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to see rock pools at low tide, other ?s

Little chance of the Northern Lights in August but you may well see dolphins if the sea is calm, I have seen them from the pier. The west beach is best for sunsets because it has lovely views towards the Black Isle and the sun sets in the west! I think there are more rock pools on the west beach but it would depend on tide times as to whether you could explore the rock pools or not. The east beach is more sandy without rocks if I remember rightly. I think your hotel is nearer the east beach if it's near the golf course. Both beaches are lovely is Nairn and the small marina at the harbour. You would probably be better having a walk there rather than rock pooling. There are a couple of interesting story boards about Nairn's links with fishing and a statue of a " fish wife" near the pier.

Have a lovely trip.

East Neuk of Fife...
Destination Expert
for St Andrews
Level Contributor
11,287 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to see rock pools at low tide, other ?s

My husband informs me there are two golf courses in Nairn so you ARE closer to the west beach ( the one with rock pools at low tide) Quite a hike to the East beach but closer to the Marina!

Reply to: Where to see rock pools at low tide, other ?s
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Nairn
Recent Conversations